News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

anybody tried to uninstall movie maker

Started by shankle, June 22, 2011, 02:05:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shankle

I have been having a lot of DVD drive problems. Dell replaced the Drive but the problems still persist.
I think the culprit is the stupid movie maker. I have tried to uninstall it but no luck.
Any suggestions would be appreciated
The greatest crime in my country is our Congress

qWord

What are the problems? Why do  you think, that a normal application can cause these problems?
FPU in a trice: SmplMath
It's that simple!

shankle

Put a DVD in the drive and the light starts blinking.
Properties either doesn't work or it gives a window with nothing on the DVD even if you just
burned a DVD and it said it was successful.
Rebooting doesn't solve anything either.
Can't explore a DVD. Gives zero entries.
Have tried several DVDs with the same problem.
When clicking properties up comes the Auto play which has nothing to do with what I want to do.
I don't have a need for Windows Movie Maker and I sure would like to remove it. MAYBE it might
solve my DVD problems.

dedndave

well - movie maker was not intended to be uninstalled
it can probably be done by refering to the INF file that installs it
however, that may cause other programs not to work, as well

it sounds like, perhaps, your Autoplay Handlers are bent out of shape
i seem to recall a program that straightens them out for you, but i don't remember the name
if you have to mess with that - try google - i would try other avenues, first   :P
another way to go is to get the autoplay registry info from a working computer and compare until you find the mistake(s)
i have done this, once - it was very tedious, but it worked

now, the easy one   :bg
when i was working on building XP on this machine, i ran into an issue with PxHelp - a CD/DVD "helper"
removing one of the programs that i did not want also removed Roxio PxHelp20.sys
it made some unusual things happen with the optical drives

you can try installing Roxio's "PxEngine" driver and see if that helps...
http://kb.roxio.com/search.aspx?URL=/content/kb/General%20Information/000070GN&PARAMS

qWord

you may first try to update the driver or/and the drives firmware.
FPU in a trice: SmplMath
It's that simple!

dedndave

you might also try this...
locate the cdrom.inf and dvd.inf files in the C:\Windows\inf folder
right-click - Install

shouldn't hurt anything   :P

shankle

Thanks guys for helping.
The driver for the DVD Drive was installed by windows 7 after I installed the drive. No more drivers have I been able
to find.
The drive is TSST and when I go into c: \windows\inf I see references to Mitsubishi which is confusing.
Since I have my data in another partition I am about to do a fresh install of Windows 7 with all the
associated hassles.

Twister

To uninstall Windows Movie Maker, you would go to Add/Remove Programs from the Control Panel. You would then click Windows Features on the left side, on the left panel.

shankle

Thank you Horton.
That turned them off. I appears that Windows Live Movie Maker can't be uninstalled.
No program IMHO should be constructed in this manner. It's my puter and I will run it the way I want to.
All programs should have a working uninstall or when an OS is generated given the opportunity to
not install a program. I just hope that nothing turns them back on again.

dedndave

movie maker is one that does not show up in the Windows Components section of Add-Remove - at least, not in XP
i don't think that's the problem, anyways

WillASM

Movie Maker is not likely the cause of your problems. Does the system itself actually read any disk's? Try booting the system with
windows install disk, or any bootable cd/dvd. If the disk boots, then it most likely a windows problem.

Other things you can try are to check if DMA Mode is Enabled for your IDE Controllers.
Also may just be a faulty cable, if you have a spare cable lying around, try changing it.

shankle

Thanks for the replies.
I agree it is not the new DVD Drive. I have read and burnt DVDs.
So it has something to do with Windows 7.
Still scratching my head on this one.
Will check out the IDE controllers following your suggestion.
Disabling the Media Player and other associated programs stopped
windows interfering when I wanted to burn  a DVD.
There are 6 items under the IDE controllers of which only the 1st
two have the DMA checked..