MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

Learning assembly Language

Started by boreepark, June 15, 2011, 01:39:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boreepark

Hello,
        This is my first post to a forum. Please forgive me for my failings. I have followed a few good video tutorials including Neil Dickson's ShowMeDo videos. I have used INVENTOR IDE to follow along with the videos. This IDE has no debugging features so I have tried to incorporate the sample asm files into Visual Studio so as to single step the code. The include directives aren't compatible with Masm32 files. Is it possible to modify the asm files to compile with masm32 include and library files or is there something I'm missing(other than intelligence). Thanks in advance. PS I'm not brave enough to use any faces yet.

vanjast

Do a search for OllyDbg (or OllyDebug) and OllyDrx.

It's a different type of debugging in that your program has to compile/assemble first. IOW you have to have a 'working' exe.
Prior to this there's a library of reading to do, and the first 'book's should be on the CPU structure and the Asm language - This should see you on the road.
:bg

Welcome to the Machine...  :U

Vortex

Hi boreepark,

Welcome to the forum.

qWord

Quote from: vanjast on June 15, 2011, 02:21:13 PMOllyDrx.
Obviously a ominous package of RE tools - definitely not the best choice for beginners  :tdown
FPU in a trice: SmplMath
It's that simple!

boreepark

Quote from: vanjast on June 15, 2011, 02:21:13 PM
Do a search for OllyDbg (or OllyDebug) and OllyDrx.

It's a different type of debugging in that your program has to compile/assemble first. IOW you have to have a 'working' exe.
Prior to this there's a library of reading to do, and the first 'book's should be on the CPU structure and the Asm language - This should see you on the road.
:bg

Welcome to the Machine...  :U

Thanks for the replies. I have Ollydbg but would still like to be able to compile and run the source in VS. It looks like I'll have to do a lot of reading to try to understand how to change the asm files to suit masm32 .inc and .lib files.

brethren

kip irvine (the author of assembly language for x86 processors) has a page with information about using masm/visual studio 10, including the express version.  he uses his own library of procedures but all the files are available on this site
http://kipirvine.com/asm/gettingStartedVS2010/index.htm

homepage
http://kipirvine.com/asm/

captainkrtek

Thanks for sharing the help, I'm on my way to learning as well  :bg