News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

Will Social Engineering please die !!

Started by DarkWolf, May 24, 2011, 07:49:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarkWolf

No I do not want to social game, socially live, social shop or social whatever else have you.

Why do I need an online account with a third party to play a single player offline game ?

Why does a primarily offline game require you to have friends willing to spend $350 on software and hardware so that you can enjoy an additional level. Oh and you have to do this once a day or else you lose content.

Why would I live independently with friends ?

No, I do not want to sign up or register or join a program, group, or whatever you care call it.
No I will not beg 100 of my friends (like some amway scam) to buy a ticket to some show so I can get a 5% discount of a large ticket fee.

Do I even have 100 friends ?
No I don't *like* you and I am sure you don't *like* me.
No I won't tell you where I am currently sitting, even though you could guess that it is on my ass in a chair, you don't need to know just so I can lookup information on your website.

Does your content even change if I move somewhere else ?
How would a video of a cat playing peekaboo be any different if I viewed it from another chair ?
Why is there a *worldwide* option if you need to know my exact location ??

It's a global economy right ? So why can I only view american content on american hardware from an amercian vendor ? When the content was produced in South Korea, the Hardware built in China and the Vendor is an online entity ?

No I will not go to your site so that you can message me.
If you want to send me a message then send me a message. There is this thing called email.

I am an individual not a group. Nor do I want to *belong*.
What do you mean I don't have the "Spirit of Community". I am not the one raping people for their ideas and ascribing them to the group. Of which the members decry their personal agendas but which I am not allowed.
--
Where's there's smoke, There are mirrors.
Give me Free as in Freedom not Speech or Beer.
Thank You and Welcome to the Internet.

dedndave

i am very anti-social - lol
i'll talk to a stranger sitting next to me at the bar
but, if i know ya, or especially if you are a relative, then i don't want to hear much of what you have to say   :lol

rather than having 100 friends, i prefer to have maybe 100 acquaintances and a half-dozen good friends
those are the people you can trust

hutch--

there is a solution, look for an ancient copy of DOOM, run it through ZDOOM, learn all of the cheats and play shootemups till the boredom sets in.  :bg
Download site for MASM32      New MASM Forum
https://masm32.com          https://masm32.com/board/index.php

anunitu

Been there,done that Hutch...I do love Doom just for killing time.

baltoro

Quote from: DAVE...especially if you are a relative,...
I laughed when I read that. And, my relatives are probably more annoying than yours. You'd think,...from a strictly Darwinian perspective that my family would have been extinct before they even evolved into modern Homo Sapiens.
But,...no. In fact, just the opposite has occurred. I think they have named an impressive group of syndromes described in the DSM (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders) after my illustrious progenitors.
That way,...they get unlimited State and Federal aid for being a recognized moron.
Baltoro

dedndave

it works both ways, i am sure
my relatives probably think i am a pain in the ass
that's because i am a pain in the ass when they only call me when they want something - lol
and - if they call me to bullshit about the weather - i am a pain in the ass again because i really don't have time
let's face it, i am a pain in the ass   :bg

oex

I'm sure you will appreciate that though I have not been expressing my opinions for almost a week.... This post certainly caught my eye and I felt compelled to 'Like' it :lol

I think maybe with the fall of religion comes the rise of social mediums where the true 'Religious Leaders' are the ones who own the networks....

Dont worry.... Not long and they will be nuked by virtual reapers and predators.... Internet world runs much faster....

Obama, Sin Laden, will probably loose power to skynet, not prevented by Arnies illigitimate child, as, within a decade the universe will first expand with a wealth of knowledge about absolutely everything before collapsing under it's own informational weight....

Anyways.... That's my 200 advert displays.... I hope someone bought it.... If not.... I'll just sell their children's future private lives to the highest bidder....
We are all of us insane, just to varying degrees and intelligently balanced through networking

http://www.hereford.tv

baltoro

Quote from: DAVE...let's face it, i am a pain in the ass  :bg,...
DAVE !!! This is encouraging,...inspirational, even,...The Colosseum is so therapeutic,...
Baltoro

DarkWolf

Quote from: hutch-- on May 25, 2011, 05:00:42 AM
there is a solution, look for an ancient copy of DOOM, run it through ZDOOM, learn all of the cheats and play shootemups till the boredom sets in.  :bg

Just so happens that is one of the games I am talking about.  shootemup's.

Both Call of Duty Black Ops and Fallout New Vegas, require Steam to be installed and an account with them. In the case of Fallout, there is no, absolutely no *online content* at all. I have no idea why on earth I need to register with anyone at all *and* maintian an account and online connection. They're a third party yet, They had nothing to do at all with the game development or distribution I was going to buy it from Gamestop. What does any of this have to do with Steam ? I ain't paying them for anything, they are not involved in this process.

A fine reason to pirate the game. But no that is why they did this. It's DRM crap, we can't have you pirate the game. Really ?? I will now.

No multiplayer
No chat
No downloads (in-game)
NO NOTHING ONLINE

Why the hell do I need a damn account ?!?!
--

vanjast

STEAM is a online Distribution/DRM/Wholesaler for games.
I personally NEVER buy games from them, but my kids do (on my PC, I let them decide).
You do require a steam account to play any of their games online (offline it's not necessary to start the steam app).
This online thing couples as a DRM anti-piracy check, not to mention all the other cr.ap that is downloaded.

My opinion.. The sooner steam (and similar items) die.. the better. But we are in the new age and it's unlikely that this will happen anytime soon.
It's up to the game/software developers and a honest clientbase to make this happen, but until then, business is business!!
:8)

vanjast

On the Social thing...

As is REAL LIFE, you play the 'net social game' in a similar way.
If you're not interested... delete, if so ...that's up to you.

Personally I find it amusing that people can 'live and die' on social networks.. it's hilarious
:wink

Astro

QuoteIt's a global economy right ? So why can I only view american content on american hardware from an amercian vendor ? When the content was produced in South Korea, the Hardware built in China and the Vendor is an online entity ?
So true!!!!!  :clap:

Quoterather than having 100 friends, i prefer to have maybe 100 acquaintances and a half-dozen good friends
those are the people you can trust
I only have 3 friends in the world... but I can call them any time of day for help and they'll be there (and likewise). The rest are just people I know to varying degrees. Trust is a much abused word.

DarkWolf

Quote from: vanjast on May 27, 2011, 11:09:23 PM
STEAM is a online Distribution/DRM/Wholesaler for games.

Yes I know, my point.
I was going to buy from a 'brick and mortar' store a physical real entity.
So why do I still need this Steam shit ??

You do require a steam account to play any of their games online (offline it's not necessary to start the steam app).
This online thing couples as a DRM anti-piracy check, not to mention all the other cr.ap that is downloaded.

No box clearly states, "Product Activation" and online research shows that Steam makes and requires a connection. The game is installed in Steams directory and uses Steam for saves. Instructions for using the game without Steam call for "Steam to BE INSTALLED". Yep step one of not using Steam is to use Steam. What kind of stupid circular logic do these morons have ?

My opinion.. The sooner steam (and similar items) die.. the better. But we are in the new age and it's unlikely that this will happen anytime soon.
It's up to the game/software developers and a honest clientbase to make this happen, but until then, business is business!!

A "new age" is no excuse.
--