MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

Code timing macros for GoAsm

Started by Citric, May 17, 2005, 10:19:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Citric

Hi All
I have ported MichaelW code timing macros to GoAsm but they dont seem to give the same results.

test.exe displays results for the masm32.lib StrLen procedure, at HIGH_PRIORITY_CLASS

Please test them and post your results, maybe with a comparsion to MichaelW macros.

Cheers Adam
ps Any Guru, please have a look to see if i have gone wrong somewhere to get different result to the masm macros.
ps I am building them with "GoAsm.Exe Version 0.52.4 beta" and "GoLink.Exe Version 0.25.4"

edit: [Updated zip file.]

[attachment deleted by admin]

Mark Jones

Slightly strange results indeed...

0 cycles
25 cycles
24 cycles
-1 ms
120 ms
111 ms

Press enter to exit...

The first reference test is 0 cycles, which is believable. The next test is REALTIME_PRIORITY_CLASS, and scores slower than HIGH_PRIORTY_CLASS? Then the next reference test (milliseconds) reports "-1ms" but I guess this is not much of a significance. The last two again show that HIGH_PRIORITY_CLASS scores faster than REALTIME_PRIORITY_CLASS.

I thought maybe this was a case of not introducing any sort of stabilization timers, so added a 3-second delay before each of the tests, which resulted in this:

0 cycles
24 cycles
24 cycles
-2 ms
112 ms
113 ms

Press enter to exit...

Those are more believable results, even if the reference ms timer is further "off."

Although I haven't seen ya here in years Citric, thanks for converting this to GoAsm syntax. :U

EDIT: it seems as though the "dwtoa" routine included in this package is different than the one in the MASM32 library. Perhaps some of the contention resides in that function.
"To deny our impulses... foolish; to revel in them, chaos." MCJ 2003.08