News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

[8086] Drawing trigonometric functions

Started by wiesiek, January 17, 2011, 02:46:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

redskull

The difference is that this is homework, not an end-product.  The goal of this project is not to produce a program that draws trig functions, but for the OP to actually learn how the FPU works for himself; the code itself is just a means to demonstrate that he's done so.  You can't buy a learning experience for any price.

-r
Strange women, lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government

wiesiek

Yeah, u see whole year has 3 professors. Only ours want us to do homework with FPU. And each professor gives to his group 3 projects. I got the worst (there was fourier(mine), + 2 easier functions)). I had written before projects , ascii art fingerprint , and searching words in text, but this one is sick (coprocessor).

I dont tnihk i will need to use asm in future
i had already learnd(mayby not mastered) pascal, c++, c, java

dedndave

for all the time you've spent posting in this thread, you could have learned the FPU
it isn't that difficult - in fact, you'll find it to be fun and interesting
whether you use it in the future or not, it will be a rewarding experience

just go to the tutorial that i mentioned earlier and start reading

japheth

Quote from: dedndave on January 18, 2011, 03:41:11 PM
just go to the tutorial that i mentioned earlier and start reading

Dave, you should learn to read carefully! He told us very clearly that he is lazy. So IMO it is way more reasonable for him to train his cheating skills than investing time to learn some virtually obsolete FPU instructions.

dedndave

obsolete ?
i know SSE is nice, and all, but i don't know of any SSE trig or exponential functions   :bg

clive

So write it in a language you know (C, PASCAL, FORTRAN, whatever), and have the compiler generate the assembler. Most of the 16/32-bit Microsoft tools are capable of generating listing files using command line options. While it's not going to be ideal, at least you can leverage the knowledge you have.
It could be a random act of randomness. Those happen a lot as well.

wiesiek

I think i will do that.
I didn't know it was possible.

Gunther

Quote from: clive, January 18, 2011, 05:40:23 pmMost of the 16/32-bit Microsoft tools are capable of generating listing files using command line options.

Yes, that's for the lazy ones. With Borland or the GNU tool chain one can use the -S switch to generate the assembly language listing.

Quote from: japheth, January 18, 2011, 04:06:46 pmSo IMO it is way more reasonable for him to train his cheating skills than investing time to learn some virtually obsolete FPU instructions

If it comes to programs and accuracy is needed, the FPU instructions aren't obsolete. That's the point.

Gunther
Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names.

raymond

Another important bit of information he may learn concerns the limitations in the precision of the various float formats used by the other languages he uses, and therefore make him a better programmer. But, he may not consider the latter that important. :(
When you assume something, you risk being wrong half the time
http://www.ray.masmcode.com

dedndave

he won't know how it works, Raymond
if i was his instructor, i would ask for some kind of explanation to go with the code - lol
his instructor is likely to do the same because he will recognize compiler generated code