News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

Make Own P/Language

Started by Twister, January 15, 2011, 05:57:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twister

What would make my language better than the language over there?

EDIT01: Found this quote on forum when I googled "how to make own programming language"
Yes, I couldn't imagine designing my own language. That would take a lot of time and for what? Probably no one would even use it.

:dazzled:.

oex

It would take a lot of time and would likely have little uptake however it's not an entirely useless process if you code a lot.... There are many questions you would have to ask though like who was the end user and what would be their requirements from the language, there are such a broad range of languages from assembly to flash actionscript all doing very different tasks at very different levels....

Your main issue would be probably not so much the language itself, this bit is relatively easy, but instead having enough functionality to make it a worthwhile language for people to code in....
We are all of us insane, just to varying degrees and intelligently balanced through networking

http://www.hereford.tv

jj2007

Some time ago there was an interesting and controversial thread here on the language D - difficult to google, actually.

But do you mean an entirely new language, with new idiosyncratic syntax etc, or an assembler implementation of an existing one?
I find a lot of fun in designing and implementing MasmBasic, but as your quote rightly says, the author is probably the only one who uses it. IMHO there is no lack of languages... the only good reason to write one is learning new things.

Twister

I'm not sure how I can create my own syntax. It seems as though every idea for syntax has been created (even the ones that would make you go crazy)

donkey

Quote from: Horton on January 15, 2011, 06:37:14 PM
I'm not sure how I can create my own syntax. It seems as though every idea for syntax has been created (even the ones that would make you go crazy)

Start with Crenshaw:

http://compilers.iecc.com/crenshaw/
"Ahhh, what an awful dream. Ones and zeroes everywhere...[shudder] and I thought I saw a two." -- Bender
"It was just a dream, Bender. There's no such thing as two". -- Fry
-- Futurama

Donkey's Stable

Twister

donkey,

The compiler isn't the hard part; it's just that 'start' to make it. I'm not sure where to begin. I can't use the MASM Assembler to create my beginning tools because conflicting license agreements, and I don't want to use assemblers like JWASM or GoASM.

Do I create my own assembler by punching in hex numbers, then start from there or what? :eek

donkey

Well, if you can already design a compiler then Crenshaw is not necessary.

What's wrong with JWASM ? From what I understand it is 100% MASM compatible and the license agreement isn't restrictive. Besides you only need it until you have arrived at a point where your language can self compile, after that the license agreement and limitations are all your own.
"Ahhh, what an awful dream. Ones and zeroes everywhere...[shudder] and I thought I saw a two." -- Bender
-- Futurama

Donkey's Stable

Twister

donkey,

Are you positive about that? I don't understand software licenses fully, I just go by what other people say about them. Will the license not stick to my program for eternity?

donkey

Quote from: Horton on January 16, 2011, 06:01:26 AM
Will the license not stick to my program for eternity?

Of course not, though the software companies would like to believe so, if I build a paint program in MASM, the license does not extend to any pictures I create using that program. If I build a compiler with MASM, the license does not extend to any programs I build with that compiler. So, once it self compiles you are free of the MASM license. If this was not the case you could throw out all of the copyright laws since books would be owned by the word processing companies or typewriter manufacturers, music would be owned by the editing software companies, etc... The MASM license only limits your usage of MASM, not what you build with it, so if they say you cannot build software for other platforms using MASM well that's OK but it does not limit what platforms your software can build for, or limit what platforms it can run on once it is self compiling because you are no longer using MASM and are not bound by its license.
-- Futurama

Donkey's Stable

Twister

Thank you so much donkey, you have been a very big help for me!  :dance:

oex

We are all of us insane, just to varying degrees and intelligently balanced through networking

http://www.hereford.tv