News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

FAT32 Directories

Started by AeroASM, May 01, 2005, 10:52:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MichaelW

The short name did not appear until I used mixed case for the long name, and in my view FileInfo.asm and FILEINFO.ASM are not the same name even if they do specify the same file. Why using mixed case makes a difference I don't know. The only way I can see to really know would be to run a sufficient number of tests. To do this easily you would need convenient access to the directory entries under Windows XP, and I can see no reasonable way to do that.

I cannot recall ever noting a problem with accessing a file created/written (to a FAT 32 volume) under one version of Windows, from another version. This implies that the directory entries are compatible, both backward and forward. So perhaps only the naming conventions have changed, and it would be possible to accurately determine how the directory information is stored by experimenting with a DOS app running under Windows 9x.
eschew obfuscation

BogdanOntanu

How things are displayed is irelevant. It depends on the application that displays the information.
What you need to know is the phhysical layout of the directory entries for short and long filenames and the fact that there could be any combination of them: only LFN, LFN+SFN, only SFN.
Ambition is a lame excuse for the ones not brave enough to be lazy.
http://www.oby.ro