MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

when is prog run at startup?

Started by thomasantony, July 20, 2005, 02:31:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thomasantony

Hi,
  If I had a program that changes the display resolution at startup using LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Run, will the program run before the user logs in and will the change of res work before the login?

THomas
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Programmer's Directory. Submit for free

sluggy

No, it will only run when the user logs in, not before. That area is still kind of user specific, it is just aimed at *all* users (IOW it isn't a machine specific area, not like the HKLM/System/CurrentControlSet001 for instance).

Mark Jones

Might need to look into windows services/video drivers to do that before a user logs in. Perhaps.
"To deny our impulses... foolish; to revel in them, chaos." MCJ 2003.08

Vortex

Hi Thomas,

Exactly, what are you trying to do?

Farabi

Thomas seems want to change the windows resolution.
Those who had universe knowledges can control the world by a micro processor.
http://www.wix.com/farabio/firstpage

"Etos siperi elegi"

PBrennick

As I think about it, I can see where this would be VERY useful if there are several users on the system and they each have there own preferences when it comes to video resolution.  I wonder if there is a way to do this?

Paul
The GeneSys Project is available from:
The Repository or My crappy website

thomasantony

Hi,
   There must be SOME regkey value for startup programs, that are used b4 login. Can some one list the ways in which progs can be run at startup. I suppose one way would be to rename an essential system file. MAke into and EXe that changes the RES and then loads the original EXE :bdg :bdg

Thomas
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Programmer's Directory. Submit for free