News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

RadAsm 2.x kwl file

Started by donkey, December 10, 2010, 03:27:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

donkey

I was recently asked for an up to date help file for the x86 instruction set. The newest I had was x86eas which is an old winhelp file so it doesn't function on Vista+ without downloading winhelp. I poked around a bit and found this thread:

http://www.masm32.com/board/index.php?topic=13567.0

The file is rather large, too large to email or post but it is a pretty extensive help file. RadAsm 2.x has the RadHelp addin that I hope to port to 3.x adn you can use this chm with that addin. If you would like to use Instruct32.chm with RadAsm 2 and RadHelp I have attached a kwl file to put in your AddIns folder, it replaces both x86.kwl and fpu.kwl delete these 2 files and any hlp*.tmp files in the AddIns folder. You will have to download the CHM from the link in the thread above. The command line for x86 instructions is

mk:@MSITStore:$R\Help\Instruct32.chm::/$K

Set this in Options|RadHelp Options

This assumes that you place the chm in the RadAsm\Help folder, change the path if it is somewhere else.

NOTE: The RadHelp addin is not yet available for RadAsm 3 so this file does absolutely nothing there.

The chm appears to be a fairly complete reference for the basic instruction set, FPU, MMX and SIMD instructions so just about everything is covered in a single file.

Edgar
"Ahhh, what an awful dream. Ones and zeroes everywhere...[shudder] and I thought I saw a two." -- Bender
"It was just a dream, Bender. There's no such thing as two". -- Fry
-- Futurama

Donkey's Stable

donkey

I've found that as drizz said, removing the pdf files drops the size to just over 600KB but I don't know how to include the styles folder with the cascading style sheets so the reference looks rather plain jane. At any rate its still too large for here so you will have to do it yourself.
"Ahhh, what an awful dream. Ones and zeroes everywhere...[shudder] and I thought I saw a two." -- Bender
-- Futurama

Donkey's Stable

jj2007

Quote from: donkey on December 10, 2010, 03:27:25 PM
I was recently asked for an up to date help file for the x86 instruction set. The newest I had was x86eas which is an old winhelp file so it doesn't function on Vista+ without downloading winhelp. I poked around a bit and found this thread:

http://www.masm32.com/board/index.php?topic=13567.0

The file is rather large, ...
Create a folder in the folder where Instruct32.chm is placed, then use this batch file:
QuoteHH.EXE -decompile . ..\Instruct32.chm
[/size]

It will reveal the reason for the 6MB size :wink

The complete opcodes fit in a 178K archive, as demonstrated in attachment.

donkey

Thanks JJ2007,

I really didn't have much time to play with it. As long as the opcodes are there the kwl file will work fine with it since it only lists the opcodes.

Edgar
-- Futurama

Donkey's Stable

jj2007

Here is a complete version. Again, in RTF format - I find it handy for searching and printing. Open in WordPad, RichMasm or WinWord...

donkey

Hi jj2007,

Well, rtf format can't be used with RadHelp so its not particularly useful in this context but nice all the same. Only hlp, chm and Help2 files can be used with RadHelp.

Edgar
-- Futurama

Donkey's Stable

donkey

I found a way to add the css files to the CHM, just open the hhp (project) file in a text editor and add them to the bottom of the list. I don't think there is an easy way to do it from HTML Help Workshop but the direct edit method works fine and the help file looks normal but without the pdf's its down to 640KB which isn't bad I guess. I imagine that I could go through the files and remove the largest ones but redoing all of the references would be a pain so I'll just keep the 640KB version which is not too large to email. If anyone wants it just PM me and I'll email it to you.

Edgar
-- Futurama

Donkey's Stable