MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

Delete temp files under Vista

Started by Magnum, November 30, 2010, 11:17:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dedndave

that isn't likely for files in the temp folder
it is more likely they are in use
i know, for example, that sqlsrvr and a few others create temporary performance data files in there (perflibxxxx)
usually, they are deleted if the program that created them closes normally

GregL

Magnum,

I don't think you should delete any files from the C:\Windows\Temp folder, unless you put them there and if you did you are putting them in the wrong place.  Like redskull said, you should be using %TEMP% (C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\Temp) for temporary files.  Vista and Seven (sounds like a drink) have special rules about where files can go, they won't like it if you are using C:\Windows\Temp, I wouldn't be surprised if you could not delete them even as admin, it is due to system security and permissions.

Magnum

I am not putting any files there.

I just run apps from my USB on occasion as well as apps on the machine.

With Windows being notorious for leaving all kinds of temp files everywhere without doing any self-cleaning, I just want to know that I made a reasonable effort to not leave too many bread crumbs.

I'll see what's in those files before I do anything.

I sure would like to get rid of the ribbon bar or whatever they call it from Word 20**.

As Hutch would say, It's a pain in the arse.

Have a great day,
                         Andy

GregL

Quote from: MagnumI sure would like to get rid of the ribbon bar or whatever they call it from Word 20**.

Yeah, it sure is different, I have pretty much gotten used to it now.

GregL

Magnum,

I just took a look at my C:\Windows\Temp folder, I had to have admin rights to just view it.  It looks to me like Windows itself is using it.  I wouldn't delete anything from there.

Magnum

Thanks, you saved me a whole lot of work.

I will still see what's in them thar files.

Have a great day,
                         Andy

sinsi

That's %temp% for things like NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM, NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE and the like. Because it is a temp directory, there should be no worries about emptying it. There will be a few files in use and undeleteable though.
Light travels faster than sound, that's why some people seem bright until you hear them.

Magnum

Quote from: sinsi on December 01, 2010, 08:32:00 AM
That's %temp% for things like NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM, NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE and the like. Because it is a temp directory, there should be no worries about emptying it. There will be a few files in use and undeleteable though.

Thanks.
Have a great day,
                         Andy