News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

Assembly Language Books

Started by Gunther, November 28, 2010, 01:55:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gunther

Wordware Publishing offers James Leiterman's book 32/64-bit 80x86 Assembly Language Architecture for approximately 70 $. Does anyone know the title? Is it worth the money?

Gunther
Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names.

GregL

Gunther,

I bought that book, it's not very good.  It's mostly an instruction reference with some of the author's experiences in 32-bit thrown in.  You would do better to download the Intel manuals.

Tight_Coder_Ex

Quote from: Gunther on November 28, 2010, 01:55:20 AM
Wordware Publishing offers James Leiterman's book 32/64-bit 80x86 Assembly Language Architecture for approximately 70 $. Does anyone know the title? Is it worth the money?

I'm suspicious of the title as 8086 and 32/64 bit are mutually exclusive  :naughty:

Gunther

Quote from: GregL, November 28, 2010, at 02:10:05 AMI bought that book, it's not very good.  It's mostly an instruction reference with some of the author's experiences mixed in.

Thank you Greg, that saves me a lot of money.

Quote from: GregL, November 28, 2010, at 02:10:05 AMYou would do better to download the Intel manuals.

Yes, that's also true. But I have already those manuals and the appropriate AMD manuals and Agner Fog's manuals ...  :bg

Gunther

GregL

Quote from: GuntherYes, that's also true. But I have already those manuals and the appropriate AMD manuals and Agner Fog's manuals ...  :bg

I just meant that the Intel manuals have more information than this book.

Gunther

Greg,

Quote from: GregL, November 28, 2010, at 02:23:43 AMI just meant that the Intel manuals have more information than this book.

Yes, I understand what you've written. It was a joke  :wink. It's one of those books which lie in the book store shelf like lead.

Gunther

GregL

Gunther,

Unfortunately I bought it online, that was a mistake.

dedndave

i am leary of a book that costs $70 - lol
perhaps i am old school, but when i was buying books left and right, they ran ~$20   :P

ramguru

It's definitely not worth 70 bucks! I bought that book too, google'd some promo code  :toothy, and it didn't cost more than ~25 

Gunther

Quote from: dedndave, November 28, 2010, at 06:43:32 AMperhaps i am old school, but when i was buying books left and right, they ran ~$20

Quote from: ramguru, November 28, 2010, at 11:43:51 AMIt's definitely not worth 70 bucks! I bought that book too, google'd some promo code, and it didn't cost more than ~25

Your arguments are okay, but don't forget: It's the final price including shipping and handling from US to Germany via England! That makes the book expensive, because the money transfer goes from Dollar via Pound to Euro. Furthermore, to speak about a free book market in Germany is ridiculous, because we've fixed book prices here.

Gunther

frktons

Quote from: Gunther on November 28, 2010, 06:11:52 PM
Quote from: dedndave, November 28, 2010, at 06:43:32 AMperhaps i am old school, but when i was buying books left and right, they ran ~$20

Quote from: ramguru, November 28, 2010, at 11:43:51 AMIt's definitely not worth 70 bucks! I bought that book too, google'd some promo code, and it didn't cost more than ~25

Your arguments are okay, but don't forget: It's the final price including shipping and handling from US to Germany via England! That makes the book expensive, because the money transfer goes from Dollar via Pound to Euro. Furthermore, to speak about a free book market in Germany is ridiculous, because we've fixed book prices here.

Gunther

If you want to have a look at it, without spending any currency bucks, go ahead and
find a pdf version "somewhere". After that you can decide what's worth and maybe buy it.  :naughty:
Mind is like a parachute. You know what to do in order to use it :-)

Gunther

Quote from: frktons, November 28, 2010, at 06:48:56 PMgo ahead and find a pdf version "somewhere".

Somewhere is good. There are many torrents across the InterWeb (rapidshare etc), but you have to register before download and I've strong doubts that this is legal. On the other hand, the echo inside this thread is negative, so I won't waste my time for searching Mr. Leiterman's book. But what about other assembly language titles? For example, Kip Irvine has written some books?

Gunther

frktons

Quote from: Gunther on November 28, 2010, 10:40:00 PM
Quote from: frktons, November 28, 2010, at 06:48:56 PMgo ahead and find a pdf version "somewhere".

Somewhere is good. There are many torrents across the InterWeb (rapidshare etc), but you have to register before download and I've strong doubts that this is legal. On the other hand, the echo inside this thread is negative, so I won't waste my time for searching Mr. Leiterman's book. But what about other assembly language titles? For example, Kip Irvine has written some books?

Gunther

For beginners K. Irvine's books are very good. Not sure for more advanced coders.
Mind is like a parachute. You know what to do in order to use it :-)

Antariy

Antariy

Quote from: Gunther on November 28, 2010, 10:40:00 PM
I've strong doubts that this is legal.

If download file have counter of downloads, you can make some decisions about goodness of book by the that counters, probably.