Test - MS uses the right thousand separator with your Windows version?

Started by frktons, November 19, 2010, 09:59:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FORTRANS

Hi.

My results are similar to Dave's.  Using the Copy command:
Added closing code.

┌─────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────[20-Nov-2010 at 14:41 GMT]─┐
│OS  : Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional Service Pack 4 (build 2195)                   │
│CPU : Pentium III with 1 logical core(s) with SSE1                                      │
├──────────────────────────────────┬─────────┬──────────┬──────────┬──────────┬──────────┤
│        Algorithm notes           │Proc Size│ Test # 1 │ Test # 2 │ Test # 3 │ Test # 4 │
├──────────────────────────────────┼─────────┼──────────┼──────────┼──────────┼──────────┤
│01 ustrv$ + GetNumberFormat     

The program displays okay.  Partial cut & paste:

┌─────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────[20-Nov-2010 at 14:41 GMT]─┐
│OS  : Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional Service Pack 4 (build 2195)                   │
│CPU : Pentium III with 1 logical core(s) with SSE1                                      │
├──────────────────────────────────┬─────────┬──────────┬──────────┬──────────┬──────────┤
│        Algorithm notes           │Proc Size│ Test # 1 │ Test # 2 │ Test # 3 │ Test # 4 │
├──────────────────────────────────┼─────────┼──────────┼──────────┼──────────┼──────────┤
│01 ustrv$ + GetNumberFormat       │    95   │   49,796 │   49,621 │   49,671 │   49,823 │
│02 udw2str + GetNumberFormat      │    65   │   50,259 │   50,193 │   50,282 │   50,161 │
│03 wsprintf + GetNumberFormat     │    73   │   58,465 │   58,414 │   59,265 │   62,207 │
│04 Clive - IDIV and Stack         │   120   │    5,873 │    5,889 │    5,868 │    5,866 │
│05 Clive - reciprocal IMUL        │   157   │    2,582 │    2,565 │    2,566 │    2,563 │
│06 Hutch ustr$ + format algo      │   159   │    8,139 │    8,121 │    8,119 │    8,120 │

Regards,

Steve N.

oex

Quote from: frktons on November 20, 2010, 09:57:45 AM
In order to use the testbed you should:

1] set the console propreties to 40 rows and 90 columns. Use font Lucida Console/b].
2] save the setting, so next time you run it, it is already set.
3] try again, and let me know.

By the way what resolution is your screen set? 1024x768 should be enough, just try.
:bg

I hate to be awkward but I already have the resolution of cmd prompt set for my own apps as default, I would guess others may have the same issue.... As this is a multiplatform app rather than a local one I would think you'd be best to accomodate this.... Alternatively (and I tried this) I loaded the application then resized and although the results displayed the formatting was still messed up.... I noticed MichaelW posted a function for auto-maximising window, was this no good? My resolution is 1280x1024

http://www.masm32.com/board/index.php?topic=14871.msg125233#msg125233
We are all of us insane, just to varying degrees and intelligently balanced through networking

http://www.hereford.tv

dedndave

you can create a new shortcut to CMD.EXE - name it Test or something
alter the properties for that shortcut - it won't affect the other

oex

Quote from: dedndave on November 20, 2010, 05:32:31 PM
you can create a new shortcut to CMD.EXE - name it Test or something
alter the properties for that shortcut - it won't affect the other

Yes but this assumes I load cmd.exe and then enter the application path to run and not double click the application no?

I think the point with these timing tests (as I've seen mentioned in past posts) is that people want to download it quickly check the code and compile and run.... You might download several times for each test over a period of time with other current projects open so just want it to work :lol.... If you have to set the cmd prompt to resize automatically and then have a second app which uses a different resolution it's just a level of annoyance, software for multiple machines should never assume anything about the target machine
We are all of us insane, just to varying degrees and intelligently balanced through networking

dedndave

yah - it is a bit inconvenient

i guess you could make a folder and a special shortcut to TestBed in that location
then, place the EXE in there to run it

MichaelW

Quote from: frktons on November 20, 2010, 09:57:45 AM
In order to use the testbed you should:
1] set the console propreties to 40 rows and 90 columns. Use font Lucida Console/b].

Under Windows 2000 the display is fine, running the app by double-clicking it in Explorer and without having to change any console settings. My normal settings are 80x25 and 8514OEM 10x20. When I run the testbed the window size temporarily changes to 90x40.
eschew obfuscation

oex

Maybe it is not changing the font then.... :lol I'm not trying to be awkward (even if I am being).... I'm just thinking that if someone downloads for the first time and has hassle they might not bother again.... There is enough to learn with ASM :lol.... I have always found that the cleanest apps and tools do best and get used....

frktons

I tried to code in the most standard API and 386/486 way I could. But, as you know, different versions of Windows
have their own different incompatibilities. I don't now, for the time being, why it works on some win xp sp2 and
not in other machines with the same OS. Even if I used a standard 25*80 console mode, the Copy problem
would probably be there for some machine. I started with 25*80 console mode 2 months ago, more or
less. Somebody asked for more algos to test, and the size changed. Now I'm going to implement the "highlight" of
the best performing algo, a new and faster code for displaying formatted numbers, some flags to check if the
machine is SSE2 capable in order to use faster routines that are already in the program and skip some tests for
machines that are not SSE2 capable, and so on.

I'm afraid I can't make happy everybody, and I'll not try to do that: Impossible task.  :eek

You have at least 3 ways to post the results. If you are not happy with them, I can't help. Use something different.  :wink
Moreover you have the sources, they are free  :P Make whatever you like with them.   :green2

Frank

Mind is like a parachute. You know what to do in order to use it :-)

oex

kk If I get time I'll take a look at your code and Michaels fix

frktons

Quote from: oex on November 21, 2010, 06:22:48 PM
kk If I get time I'll take a look at your code and Michaels fix

Michael suggestions, code and Alex's are already implemented in this version and tend to
perform correctly. Neither I nor them probably know why some machine configurations are copying only a part
of the screen. I'll have a look myself into the code. Maybe I can find something strange.

By the way, did you try to use the exe included in the zip? Does it have the same copy problem?

It could also be an incompatibility between different versions of MASM. It has already happened.

oex

It could be I use 6.15 but I dont run externally compiled exes on my machine I only have the one machine so if it goes down I'm in trouble :lol

frktons

Quote from: oex on November 21, 2010, 06:30:10 PM
It could be I use 6.15 but I dont run externally compiled exes on my machine I only have the one machine so if it goes down I'm in trouble :lol

Don't be afraid to use it. It is produced by the source using MASM v.10 and Polink 6.5.
It'll not burn your pc, at least I hope  :lol