News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

Converting MASM String functions

Started by FlySky, October 23, 2010, 09:47:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hutch--

The licence is actually there to protect the entire content of the project so that it remains completely unconditional freeware, effectively software written by programmers for programmers with nothing inbetween. I don't see a problem in someone writing a set of similar functions for GoAsm but none of the code in the masm32 project can be redistributed and absolutely nothing in the project can be licenced in any other manner.
Download site for MASM32      New MASM Forum
https://masm32.com          https://masm32.com/board/index.php

jcfuller

Quote from: dedndave on October 24, 2010, 10:15:26 AM
that restriction primarily applies to the microsoft assembler
much of the code would not work under other operating systems
as long as you don't break the rules for the assembler, you are probably ok
Hutch's main rule is - don't steal his code and put your name on it   :bg

There is a LOT of code in the masm32 package that works with JWasm under Linux.

I became aware of the Licensing when I wanted to post a Jwasm/Linux example using Raymond's fp library.
I found out then I could not use the library supplied with masm32. I went to Raymond directly and obtained his permission and downloaded the libray from his site. I could then include this library with my demo code.

I also believe this applies to anyone offering demo source code. You may not include any source from the masm32 package.
Anyone wishing to try your code will need to download the masm32 package to obtain needed libraries.

James

jj2007

Quote from: jcfuller on October 24, 2010, 01:22:09 PMI also believe this applies to anyone offering demo source code. You may not include any source from the masm32 package.
Anyone wishing to try your code will need to download the masm32 package to obtain needed libraries.

Exactly :bg

include \masm32\include\masm32rt.inc

aka Made by Australians (and some Martians, too)

hutch--

The distinction is in fact a simple one, a demo is a demo but if making the demo available means licencing the demo to GPL then it is a violation of the MASM32 licence. I have never got anything back from GPL projects except some licence bullsh*t and I am as flexible as the GPL licence itself, unless the Free Software Foundation is willing to abandon its copyright for its own code and let anyone secretly modify it and distribute that secretly modified code, then they cannot expect anyone else to give them what they will not give themselves.

It does not take any great genuis to make a library, it just takes a lot of work. The stuff in the MASM32 SDK is for programmers to use free of charge and without having to publish their own code, it is not for corporations, organisations and the like to licence as their own.
Download site for MASM32      New MASM Forum
https://masm32.com          https://masm32.com/board/index.php

frktons

Quote from: hutch-- on October 26, 2010, 09:04:07 AM
The distinction is in fact a simple one, a demo is a demo but if making the demo available means licencing the demo to GPL then it is a violation of the MASM32 licence. I have never got anything back from GPL projects except some licence bullsh*t and I am as flexible as the GPL licence itself, unless the Free Software Foundation is willing to abandon its copyright for its own code and let anyone secretly modify it and distribute that secretly modified code, then they cannot expect anyone else to give them what they will not give themselves.

It does not take any great genuis to make a library, it just takes a lot of work. The stuff in the MASM32 SDK is for programmers to use free of charge and without having to publish their own code, it is not for corporations, organisations and the like to licence as their own.

I agree with these points of view. Sometime "Free" is a way of trapping others. Steve is right defending the real freedom
of programmers.  :U

Frank
Mind is like a parachute. You know what to do in order to use it :-)