News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

Reading NTFS

Started by dumb_terminal, October 12, 2010, 06:54:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dumb_terminal

I know it sounds stupid guys, but is enumerating files and directories from a NTFS drive is same as FAT ? I am trying to place a mini terminal from usb while booting up, which needs to support a DIR command. Thanx in advance.

BogdanOntanu

No it is NOT the same as FAT. In fact it is very much different.

Ambition is a lame excuse for the ones not brave enough to be lazy.
http://www.oby.ro

dumb_terminal

Quote from: BogdanOntanu on October 12, 2010, 06:57:57 PM
No it is NOT the same as FAT. In fact it is very much different.

Thanx for ur quick reply Sir. Any hints or links or kind enough to give a code sample Sir ??

BogdanOntanu

Quote from: dumb_terminal on October 12, 2010, 07:01:22 PM
Thanx for ur quick reply Sir. Any hints or links or kind enough to give a code sample Sir ??

Not really,    www.ntfs.com
Ambition is a lame excuse for the ones not brave enough to be lazy.
http://www.oby.ro

dumb_terminal

Quote from: BogdanOntanu on October 12, 2010, 07:07:30 PM
Quote from: dumb_terminal on October 12, 2010, 07:01:22 PM

Not really,    www.ntfs.com
Ummm... thanx i'll try.

redskull

A full, working implementation of an NTSF file system is vastly more complicated than FAT.  It's a closed, proprietary system, so even if you wanted to, you would have figure it all out from scratch.  Also, since it supports permissions, you would have to find a way to authenticate users and only allow access to the appropriate files for each user (Unless, of course, you were trying to something unscrupulous...  :naughty: )

Your best bet is to just get Linux LiveCD or USB key, for which rudemntary ntfs drivers already exist, and do it from there.

-r
Strange women, lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government