MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

trying to separate data from Vista

Started by shankle, October 07, 2010, 12:55:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shankle

multiboot setup - Pclinuxos and Vista
setup: hd#1  - partition #1 Vista and data, partition #2 Windows data(empty right now)
          hd#2 -  Pclinuxos, Vista data

Pclinuxos has control of the MBR.

From Vista I can see the Vista Data on HD#2
From Vista I can NOT see the 2nd partition hd#1(Windows data)
From Pclinuxos I can see everything.

My Vista needs a house cleaning and it would be nice if I could separate all data
permanently into Windows data in Partition #2 hd#1

Alas, nothing is ever easy
The greatest crime in my country is our Congress

redskull

Vista should be able to at least see the hard drive and partitions, albiet not able to read the partitions formatted as ext2.  It's odd that it cannot see partition 2 on hard drive #1; is it formatted as NTFS?

-r
Strange women, lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government

shankle

Thank you Redskull for answering.
On hd #1 the Windows data partition is formatted as NTFS.

What's strange to me is it can see the Vista data on hd #2.
Which is formatted as NTFS.

Must be the oddities of GRUB

shankle

Well I have learned my lesson the hard way. Lost my entire puter yesterday due to a black screen
with the word GRUB on it. Had no idea how to respond to that. Solution to that is, get rid of PcLinuxOS
and never use Linux again. This is all caused by my impatience with viruses, pop-ups, constant
outgoing massages and other threats. Linux doesn't have these problems. I'll just have to grit
my teeth and go with the flow. Windows I guess is the only game in town and I'm stuck with it :(

Not all is bad, new install of Vista and it is blazing fast. Still working on it. I am going to try creating
another partition on the same drive for my data. Backups this time didn't do me any good.
Couldn't boot the puter no matter what I tried. I had the forsight to put my critical data on CDs
so it wasn't a total loss.
Nothing is ever easy.

ecube

should go with win7, much better than vista. Also linux has like 1% of the market, if people cared enough it would have malware etc just like windows.