MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

Curious about bootdisk and Fat32 hard drive

Started by Magnum, September 25, 2010, 07:50:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vortex

Hi Magnum,

Today, a lot of notebooks and desktop computers are shipped with a recovery partiton. This partition is a special portion of the hard disc marked with a different partition type code. The disk management console of Windows cannot access the recovery partition but with some specialized hard disc tools, you can modify the type code and reach the partition. If your notebook becomes unbootable, you hit a recovery button during startup and the recovery environment is loaded to restore the system partition backed up in the recovery partition.

Gunther

Andy,

if you only would like play a bit with the old DOS, you should give Oracle VM Virtual Box a try. It's free and easy to configure. You'll find it here: http://www.virtualbox.org/

Gunther
Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names.

Magnum

I looked at the site but couldn't find the hardware requirements.

I am running XP Pro on a P-3 with 512 Mb of Ram.

Andy
Have a great day,
                         Andy

Gunther

Quote from: Magnum, October 02, 2010, t 05:20:11 AMI looked at the site but couldn't find the hardware requirements.

I am running XP Pro on a P-3 with 512 Mb of Ram.

No problem, it's good enough. Got to the download section and fetch VirtualBox 3.2.8 for Windows hosts. You can install a virtual PC with that on your machine; the virtual PC will run every OS you wish. Please read the documentation.

Gunther
Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names.