News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

INT 13h under Windows

Started by dumb_terminal, September 11, 2010, 11:40:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dumb_terminal

when i attempt to use int 13h, or 25h to read sectors directly under windows (XP, Hraddisk total size 320GB, partition size 70GB) i get a message "An application is attempting to read harddisk directly this might be due to .....
Is there any way to read write sectors directly, if there is (for 16 bits of course) plz give me hints or links to it, resources for 32 bit sector r/w will also be appreciated thanx

clive

Either boot to DOS, and use INT13/Extensions, or use Win32 IOCTL/SPTI. There might be a way to use DPMI, but in 2010 I would *not* be trying to execute 16-bit PC BIOS code from within Windows, it's either not going to work, or you're going to screw things up.

What exactly are you trying to achieve?
It could be a random act of randomness. Those happen a lot as well.

japheth

See

http://ww.japheth.de/Download/DOS/IDECHECK.zip

It's a DOS program which has full access to Int 13h in WinXP for administrator accounts. This is achieved through a VDD (source included).

dumb_terminal

Quote from: clive on September 12, 2010, 01:49:51 AM
Either boot to DOS, and use INT13/Extensions, or use Win32 IOCTL/SPTI. There might be a way to use DPMI, but in 2010 I would *not* be trying to execute 16-bit PC BIOS code from within Windows, it's either not going to work, or you're going to screw things up.

What exactly are you trying to achieve?

Sorry for late reply sir, i am just a student, experimenting with things, i was just trying to test these int 13 and i needed to write the 0 sector of my USB drive, so it becomes bootable.

@japheth : Hats off sir. Thanx for the resource.  :clap:

clive

It could be a random act of randomness. Those happen a lot as well.