News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

Linker error. Can't build any programs.

Started by zack1900, August 07, 2010, 07:44:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zack1900

I downloaded a program from http://win32assembly.online.fr/source.html and extracted the source and a dll. My antivirus didn't like it so I let it kill the dll since I planned to build it from the source any way. After messing around with it for a while I gave up trying to build the dll (I haven't built one yet). After extracting the dll and trying to run the main program, witch I did build from the source, I started to run into lnk1136 errors every time link.exe ran. The error persisted when I went to rebuild working programs in both masm and C++. I was hoping to get some help from this site.

To date I have done the following. (I'll try to keep this up to date)

1) Deleted Masm directory and attempted to re install, but it won't build the libraries do to lnk1136 errors during the library building process.

2) Uninstalled AVG. No change.

3) Disabled UAC while antivirus is uninstalled. No change.

4) Tried to install to a portable drive. No change.

5)Tried renaming a copy of polink.exe to link.exe in hopes that it could build the libraries. It simply did not build them, but did not kick out an error like link.exe, but I believe I saw it complain about the /lib option somewhere (I forget what window and why this showed).

6) Redownloaded masm . No Change

7) Came crying here since Google has failed me.

Some notes:
I'm running Windows Vista basic.
Nothing else weird seems to be going on.

dedndave

QuoteLinker Tools Error LNK1136

Error Message
invalid or corrupt file

The input file either has a corrupt header or is zero size or abnormally small.

LNK1136 may also be caused if the file was incorrectly specified as an additional dependency.

insufficient disk space, maybe ?
or it is unable to create/find a folder/file ?

zack1900

I have ~40 gigs free space on the hard drive.

How would I make sure it is able to create the file? The obj files are being created if that helps.

dedndave

well - there may be a number of causes for an error like that

1) one of the generated OBJ files is on a bad spot on the drive
2) some kind of access permissions aren't in place to create or write a file
3) maybe the file already exists, so you get the invalid name thing

the list goes on and on
as for the masm32 package, i have installed it several times with no problems
it is a bit CPU-intensive, so i make sure nothing else is running at the time
you may have to use the task manager to terminate any unnecessary programs

from the information you have given us, all we can do is make guesses
but, these ideas may give you something to have in mind when troubleshooting the problem
i am willing to bet that you will find some 0-sized file somewhere in the masm32 folder   :bg
if you can determine the cause....

dedndave

oh - maybe it has something to do with environment variables
for example, make sure the paths listed in the PATH, TEMP, and TMP variables exist

zack1900

Well since last install attempt I've shutdown a lot of unnecessary processes and deleted the environmental variables I made. I don't know which it was, but its working now. Thank you for the help. Now I can go get my self confused trying to debug one of my bad programs  :bg