MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

Stack memory location

Started by brixton, June 10, 2010, 10:32:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brixton

Hi all,

I am (essentially) writing a debugger (of sorts, long story).  I am most interested in memory locations of the debugee.  I have gotten as far as reading the relevant DOS/PE headers and using this information I can correctly calculate the location of the start of writeable memory (global variables), but I am lost on calculating the location of the stack.  Is it a constant?  I debugged several applications with Olly and they all had an EBP of 0012FFF0, and ESP of 0012FFC4.

Any info appreciated.

Regards,

Tom
If you love somebody, set them free.
If they return, they were always yours. If they don't, they never were..

Ghandi

Don't hardcode any values/addresses like ESP/EBP, use GetThreadContext to retrieve the context (state) of the thread and then inside this structure will be the EBP/ESP register values. Imho if writing a debugger you need to be able to get and set the thread(s) context(s) to be able to handle events such as software breakpoints (read: Int3).

HR,
Ghandi

brixton

Hi Ghandi,

That helps me very much, thankyou.  As of yet, have not loaded the target binary as a child process so have not looked at this method, although I was aware I could extract the register values from a child process.  I was hoping I could somehow tease it out of the headers, as I could find most of the information I needed there (as I said, for instance, the RVA of data section once loaded).

Thankyou for your 'englightening' me  :U

Tom
If you love somebody, set them free.
If they return, they were always yours. If they don't, they never were..