News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

Could I book an ASM for my win32 Console ?

Started by frktons, May 02, 2010, 03:32:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frktons

After I subscribed the forum, I searched for some weeks didactical materials,
books and tutorials for learning ASM in a step by step fashion.

I was looking for something teaching 32 bit MASM for Console mode in
a WIN32 OS [XP => 7].

Unfortunately I could not find this exact tutorial/book/anything in any place.

All the books, tutorial, and so on I found, teach 16 bit ASM, DOS ASM, WIN32 GUI
ASM, Linux 32 bit ASM, MIPS ASM, NASM, GAS,HLA...

So probably it doesn't really matter. Probably nobody has ever had that necessity
or the market doesn't really ask for it.

Some books are really great and clear for the beginners:

- Professional Assembly by Richard Blum [GAS/LINUX 32 bit 80x86]
- PC Assembly by Paul A. Carter [NASM - 32 bit 80x86 Linux/Win]
- The Art of Assembly by  Randy Hyde [HLA - 32 bit - 80x86 Linux/Win...]
and so many more.

Before I give up the idea altogheter of finding a 32 bit MASM tutorial/book for
WIN32 Console mode, I'd like to ask if anybody knows
something somewhere like the thing I'm looking for.  ::)
Mind is like a parachute. You know what to do in order to use it :-)

GregL

Here are some books on Win32 Assembly Language, they cover console-mode applications and use MASM for the assembler, and Visual Studio for the IDE.  They do not use the MASM32 SDK so don't expect them to.

http://www.amazon.com/Assembly-Language-Intel-Based-Computers-5th/dp/0132383101/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1272816633&sr=8-4

http://www.amazon.com/Assembly-Language-x86-Processors-6th/dp/013602212X/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1272816633&sr=8-6

http://www.amazon.com/Essentials-Assembly-Language-Richard-Detmer/dp/076373621X/ref=sr_1_25?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1272817710&sr=8-25

http://www.amazon.com/Introduction-Assembly-Language-Computer-Architecture/dp/0763772232/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1272816633&sr=8-3

Iczelion's Tutorials are very good for learning Win32 Assembly Language, both console and GUI, with MASM.

The MASM32 Help files have a lot of good information.

The MASM Programmer's Guide is a must-have for MASM programming.

frktons

Thanks Greg.

I've got some of this stuff somewhere on my hard disks.
I'll check and see what I can use  :P

Frank

GregL

hutch--

Frank,

Win32 console mode programming is one of the easiest ways of learning to write 32 bit MASM as it does not have the interface requirements that GUI programming has. Under win32 on 32 and 64 bit Windows you must interact with the OS to do any form of IO, data or display and this is done in console mode with specific Windows API function calls. What I would suggest to you is try out MASM32 at its simplest using the macros and libraries just to get yourself up and going then it bits learn how the runtime library is constructed to do this.

In MASM32 there is the choice between the "print" macro and the procedure that it calls, "StdOut" and the full source for StdOut and StdIn and StdErr is available for you to have a good look at. Its pretty normal API programming but you do have to get the sniff of how it works to write direct console API code. They are in fact simple procedures and no big deal to understand.

invoke StdOut,ADDR MyText    ; straight procedure call to library module
fn StdOut,"This is my test"     ; with the help of a macro that handles literal text"
print "My text again",13,10    ; print macro with optional trailing string data.
Download site for MASM32      New MASM Forum
https://masm32.com          https://masm32.com/board/index.php

frktons

Quote from: hutch-- on May 03, 2010, 07:15:00 AM
Frank,

Win32 console mode programming is one of the easiest ways of learning to write 32 bit MASM as it does not have the interface requirements that GUI programming has. Under win32 on 32 and 64 bit Windows you must interact with the OS to do any form of IO, data or display and this is done in console mode with specific Windows API function calls. What I would suggest to you is try out MASM32 at its simplest using the macros and libraries just to get yourself up and going then it bits learn how the runtime library is constructed to do this.

In MASM32 there is the choice between the "print" macro and the procedure that it calls, "StdOut" and the full source for StdOut and StdIn and StdErr is available for you to have a good look at. Its pretty normal API programming but you do have to get the sniff of how it works to write direct console API code. They are in fact simple procedures and no big deal to understand.

invoke StdOut,ADDR MyText    ; straight procedure call to library module
fn StdOut,"This is my test"     ; with the help of a macro that handles literal text"
print "My text again",13,10    ; print macro with optional trailing string data.

:U Hutch

GregL

frktons,

You said you wanted books, so I listed books. You can do very well with the MASM32 package and the help files, examples  and tutorials it contains, Iczelions Tutorials and The MASM Programmer's Guide. And it's a whole lot cheaper.

frktons

Quote from: Greg Lyon on May 03, 2010, 07:04:00 PM
frktons,

You said you wanted books, so I listed books. You can do very well with the MASM32 package and the help files, examples  and tutorials it contains, Iczelions Tutorials and The MASM Programmer's Guide. And it's a whole lot cheaper.

Thanks Greg.

I'm going to use wathever is suitable [tutorials, articles, help files, examples, e-books, paper books
and the advices of more skilled guys].

Because there is a lot of stuff around, I've to surf a bit through many things
until I find suitable information for the tasks I design in my mind and for the level of
my understanding.  :P

Frank

Vortex

Hi frktons,

Don't forget to check the Masm32 console application examples :

\masm32\tutorial\console

frktons

Quote from: Vortex on May 03, 2010, 08:01:31 PM
Hi frktons,

Don't forget to check the Masm32 console application examples :

\masm32\tutorial\console

Hi Vortex,
I'll surely do.  :U