MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

HOWL v0.9 is now available

Started by Randall Hyde, April 03, 2010, 03:15:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Randall Hyde

Hi All,

HOWL (HLA Object Windows Library) v0.9 is available (attached). This is the "feature complete" version I'm about to turn into v1.0 after testing and documentation. Sorry, you can't compile it because it needs features from HLA v2.9 (which I should put up on Webster about the same time I'm done with HOWL v1.0), but the executable is included in the download so you can run it when looking at the HOWLDEMO.HLA and HOWLDEMO.HHF source code.
Cheers,
Randy Hyde

latte

Quote from: Randall Hyde on April 03, 2010, 03:15:07 AM
Hi All,

HOWL (HLA Object Windows Library) v0.9 is available (attached). This is the "feature complete" version I'm about to turn into v1.0 after testing and documentation. Sorry, you can't compile it because it needs features from HLA v2.9 (which I should put up on Webster about the same time I'm done with HOWL v1.0), but the executable is included in the download so you can run it when looking at the HOWLDEMO.HLA and HOWLDEMO.HHF source code.
Cheers,
Randy Hyde
This sounds great!  Many thanks for doing this! 
Just a quick question....  Is it possible to convert the demos so that they could run on Linux, and if so, how difficult would
this be? ( I imagine that given that I'm a beginner, it'd be beyond my ability.... :)  ) 
I'm **really keen** to find a public-domain assembly app (preferably HLA or nasm) which uses a GUI and runs on Linux. 
Thanks again - bye for now -
- latte 

Randall Hyde

Quote from: latte on April 04, 2010, 05:28:22 AM
Quote from: Randall Hyde on April 03, 2010, 03:15:07 AM
Hi All,

Cheers,
Randy Hyde
This sounds great!  Many thanks for doing this! 
Just a quick question....  Is it possible to convert the demos so that they could run on Linux, and if so, how difficult would
this be? ( I imagine that given that I'm a beginner, it'd be beyond my ability.... :)  ) 
I'm **really keen** to find a public-domain assembly app (preferably HLA or nasm) which uses a GUI and runs on Linux. 
Thanks again - bye for now -
- latte 

Converting to run under Linux is a complete porting job, and that's not easy at all.
OTOH, I've just about put the wraps on HOWL_Win32, so Mac OS, Linux, and FreeBSD versions will happen sooner or later.

Note, however, that these are going to be separate libraries. That is, don't expect portability between OSes with these HOWL libraries. In the future, I have plans for a PHOWL library project (portable HOWL), but right now I'm using the HOWL project to learn how to create the app frameworks for each of these OSes.

latte

Quote from: Randall Hyde
Converting to run under Linux is a complete porting job, and that's not easy at all.
OTOH, I've just about put the wraps on HOWL_Win32, so Mac OS, Linux, and FreeBSD versions will happen sooner or later.

Awesome!  *Really* looking forward to the Linux version of this!  Many thanks for doing all that you've done so far, too!

Quote from: Randall Hyde
Note, however, that these are going to be separate libraries. That is, don't expect portability between OSes with these HOWL libraries. In the future, I have plans for a PHOWL library project (portable HOWL), but right now I'm using the HOWL project to learn how to create the app frameworks for each of these OSes.
Ok - sounds good! 
- latte