News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

HELP! compression algorithms

Started by Joker2u, March 10, 2010, 04:43:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joker2u

So I am working on a project right now and it requires me to find file compression algorithms for assembler... I can't seem to find anything on here or anywhere.  Any amount of help on this would be great.  Here is what I am working on...

Your job is to design and implement a program that follows any of the compression algorithms available today to compress the following file types:

Text (includes any txt file such as xml, html, cpp, asm etc)

Executable (.exe extensions)

*Bonus - embedded macro and metadata files (WordDoc, Excel, Powerpoint)

It is, therefore, your job to do an effective research regarding this topic. Find out how compression algorithms work and what the basic premise behind them is. Why do we have so many compression algorithms out there? Then, select an algorithm to be used for your compression program, and code your assignment accordingly.

P.S. anyone who would like to comment on embedded macro and metadata files it would be muchly appreciated as well...
Thanks again.

BlackVortex

P1

Quote from: Joker2u on March 10, 2010, 04:43:12 PMIt is, therefore, your job to do an effective research regarding this topic. Find out how compression algorithms work and what the basic premise behind them is. Why do we have so many compression algorithms out there? Then, select an algorithm to be used for your compression program, and code your assignment accordingly.
Quote9. The NO HOMEWORK Rule.
The forum is a technical help forum for assembler language programmers, it will not be used as a location for grovelling to get someone to do your homework. Members who are learning assembler programming at school or similar are welcome but they must do their own work. In this context they will receive assistance if they need it but any dumping of problems in the forum will be removed. Also note that 16 bit DOS code will be moved to the 16 bit DOS forum as this forum is primarily a 32 bit Windows assembler forum.
Does this apply ???

Regards,  P1   :8)

BlackVortex

Well, he's not asking for ready-made code, just information on where to get started and which library to use.   :thumbu

hutch--

Joker,

Just have a look at the aPlib example in the masm32 example code.
Download site for MASM32      New MASM Forum
https://masm32.com          https://masm32.com/board/index.php