News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

Microsoft Linker license

Started by theunknownguy, March 08, 2010, 10:34:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theunknownguy

Hey, i always read this community, find usefull help and alot of things, congratulations one of the best communitys to learn and find help.

I am making a commerciable product, i use JWASM for making it on x32 and plaining to do the same at x64 but i use kernel drivers and i am willing to sign with "verisign" (even if it cost some money).

But my main issue is to know if Microsoft Linker (link.exe) is attached to some restrictions about producing commercial software, caused i read that ML.exe version 8 is for hobby development, so is this the same for link.exe (in newer versions)?. If not what other solutions can i make, not counting to change the coding lang (i really dont like C++ for this, even with the _asm directive).?

Waiting for an answer and thanks
Felipe YaƱez.

GregL

Quote from: theunknownguy..., caused i read that ML.exe version 8 is for hobby development.

That's just not true. It all depends on where you got the copy of ml.exe and the EULA that goes along with it. ml.exe 8.x from Visual Studio can be used to produce commercial software. I think you heard about the free MASM 8.0 download that is intended to go along with the Express Edition of Visual C++ 2005, it has a limited EULA. The ml.exe 9.0 that was included with VS 2008 Express Edition did not have a limited EULA.

The EULAs are varied, and you just need to be familiar with the one that applies to you. The same applies to Link.exe and all the other Microsoft development tools too.

You need to use a copy of Link.exe that allows for development of commercial software, such as the one that comes with the MASM32 package. Or any from the full versions of Visual Studio. Or you could use a different linker that has no restrictions, such as Polink from Pelle's C or whatever.

BlackVortex

Yeah, why not use polink, golink, jwlink or something like that.

theunknownguy

polink and jwlink support x64 driver creation?

Also there are main differences between that linkers and microsoft one (like differences between masm32 and JWASM?)

Thanks.

PS: I read some differences already, if you know another ones please post it...

Vortex

Except some minor expections, Polink.exe iis compatible with link.exe. This linker comes with the Masm32 package.

\masm32\bin\polink.exe

theunknownguy

Thanks fot the answer vortext, last question...

Doesnt need to be a valid linker for x64 or driver struct doesnt change from older versions...?