News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

I miss the 80s. . .

Started by Bill Cravener, February 27, 2010, 07:11:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evenbit

I don't know why, but this http://www.myspace.com/bprestage seems to be popular with some of my Florida friends.  Sounds similar to "Oh, Brother..." or folk music, but the dude constructs all of his own musical instruments.

Nathan.

dedndave

here is one everybody will enjoy   :bg

3-year-old Drake Dixon performs "Boots On"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GKsUiq9HZc

after that, he does another song
notice how he has to switch guitars   :P

tenkey

Quote from: hutch-- on March 14, 2010, 04:28:14 AM
You guys may know this, there was a style of music that used to ooze out of the swamps in Louisiana that has a really good feel to it but it was not modern, it sounded 1930s, any idea what this stuff is ?
Stuff that comes to mind are Cajun music and zydeco. However, I don't think of them as sounding like the 1930s.

For Cajun music, all I knew was Doug Kershaw and his fiddle (many, many years ago).

My introduction to zydeco was more recent, within the last 10 years. Another form of music I don't follow. But I can still recognize it, especially when there's an accordion playing in a band.
A programming language is low level when its programs require attention to the irrelevant.
Alan Perlis, Epigram #8

anunitu

It might be Jug band sound, or some derivitive,I also thought of Cajun music and zydeco. Heard that the first time from a friend in the navy.

dedndave

thing about cajun music - you've heard one, you've heard em all - lol
for my tastes, it sounds like someone is strangling a cat

Bill Cravener

I'm no great country music lover but some I can't help but like. The lyrics are pure poetry. :bg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uw1bHaUk1CM

Highwayman Lyrics.

I was a highwayman. Along the coach roads I did ride
With sword and pistol by my side
Many a young maid lost her baubles to my trade
Many a soldier shed his lifeblood on my blade
The bastards hung me in the spring of twenty-five
But I am still alive.

I was a sailor. I was born upon the tide
And with the sea I did abide.
I sailed a schooner round the Horn to Mexico
I went aloft and furled the mainsail in a blow
And when the yards broke off they said that I got killed
But I am living still.

I was a dam builder across the river deep and wide
Where steel and water did collide
A place called Boulder on the wild Colorado
I slipped and fell into the wet concrete below
They buried me in that great tomb that knows no sound
But I am still around..I'll always be around..and around and around and
around and around

I fly a starship across the Universe divide
And when I reach the other side
I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can
Perhaps I may become a highwayman again
Or I may simply be a single drop of rain
But I will remain
And I'll be back again, and again and again and again and again..
My MASM32 Examples.

"Prejudice does not arise from low intelligence it arises from conservative ideals to which people of low intelligence are drawn." ~ Isaidthat

Bill Cravener

Deep!! I just discovered it was written by a fellow named Jimmy Webb. :bg
My MASM32 Examples.

"Prejudice does not arise from low intelligence it arises from conservative ideals to which people of low intelligence are drawn." ~ Isaidthat

donkey

Quote from: anunitu on March 15, 2010, 11:53:39 PM
It might be Jug band sound, or some derivitive,I also thought of Cajun music and zydeco. Heard that the first time from a friend in the navy.

I kinda like Tab Benoit, got 4 or 5 of his CDs, good music for when I whip up a batch of Jambalaya. But yeah, Cajun music gets old fast...

Edgar
"Ahhh, what an awful dream. Ones and zeroes everywhere...[shudder] and I thought I saw a two." -- Bender
"It was just a dream, Bender. There's no such thing as two". -- Fry
-- Futurama

Donkey's Stable

Bill Cravener

Highwayman, still my all time favorite tune. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQ03ngpdU80

If you read the lyrics "Highwayman" is a contemporary country music ballad written by songwriter Jimmy Webb, about a soul with incarnations in four different places in time and history, a highwayman, a sailor, a construction worker on the Hoover Dam, and finally as a starship captain traveling thru the voids of space.

To my way of thinking it expresses what life and death is all about, we are born we live we die, we are born we live we die, on and on infinitum.

Winter Sucks! I have to quit reading all this quantum physics shit I've been geeked out on lately. Superposition, entanglement, spooky action at a distance, Planck scale. :eek
My MASM32 Examples.

Gunther

Quote from: Bill Cravener, January 06, 2011, at  10:47:29 pmHighwayman, still my all time favorite tune.

Yes, a great tune by Kris, Willie, Waylon, and Johnny. Unfortunately, the video is no longer displayable here in Germany, because it has content from Sony. But I remember the days; I've heard every Saturday afternoon the ACC with Bob Kingsley on the good old AFN. Great songs - only to name a few - by Alabama, Restless Heart, Southern Pacific, Sawyer Brown and last but not least Highwayman.

Gunther
Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names.