News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

CreateDialogIndirectParam / DLGTEMPLATE

Started by hotrod, February 04, 2010, 12:08:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotrod

Does anyone have an example using these items? It doesn't seem that they are widely used and I am missing something. Thanks...
dlgTplt DLGTEMPLATE <WS_OVERLAPPEDWINDOW, 0, 0, 400, 400, 200, 200>

invoke CreateDialogIndirectParam, hInstance, addr dlgTplt, hWin, addr DlgProc, 0

DlgProc PROC hWnd3:HWND,iMsg:DWORD,wParam:WPARAM, lParam:LPARAM
.if iMsg==WM_INITDIALOG
push hWnd3
pop hwnd3
.elseif iMsg==WM_CLOSE
      invoke EndDialog,hWnd3,NULL
      mov hwndDlg,0
.else
mov eax,FALSE
ret
.endif
mov eax,TRUE
ret
DlgProc endp

MichaelW

There is a demo based on a MASM32 in-memory dialog here:

http://www.masm32.com/board/index.php?topic=6884.msg51111#msg51111

Note that the CallModelessDialog macro is now included in MASM32 version 10, so you will need to remove the duplicate from the source.
eschew obfuscation

hotrod

Thanks MichaelW. This is an interesting program, but since I am not a graphic person, it is over my head and it is also making a lot of calls to macros. I would like to get a simple module that explains what I am doing wrong. M$ SDK gives some info, but no example and I have not located one google-ing. It's not all that important, but it does look useful when producing multiple dialogs from one. The code I posted looks like it should work, but it fails.

Vortex

Hi hotrod,

You can extract binary resource templates from compiled resource ( .res ) files :

http://vortex.masmcode.com/files/Res2objV1.zip

hotrod

Thanks Vortex. I have used .rc files extensively, but I am trying to get the code I posted to work as defined by M$ "The CreateDialogIndirectParam function creates a modeless dialog box from a dialog box template in memory. Before displaying the dialog box, the function passes an application-defined value to the dialog box procedure as the lParam parameter of the WM_INITDIALOG message. An application can use this value to initialize dialog box controls." and "lpTemplate
[in] Pointer to a global memory object that contains the template CreateDialogIndirectParam uses to create the dialog box. A dialog box template consists of a header that describes the dialog box, followed by one or more additional blocks of data that describe each of the controls in the dialog box. The template can use either the standard format or the extended format.
In a standard template, the header is a DLGTEMPLATE structure followed by additional variable-length arrays. The data for each control consists of a DLGITEMTEMPLATE structure followed by additional variable-length arrays."

MichaelW

The attachment is about as simple as I could make it.
eschew obfuscation

hotrod

MichaelW, you have touched my funny bone with that one and my appreciation. You guys that know this stuff have a clear advantage on us who do it the hard way. I wish I had a tenth of your ability. Your first remark in the .asm clears up a bunch, I will go in and modify it.
Quote; The DLGTEMPLATE structure is declared incorrectly in windows.inc,
; causing the structure size to be 20 bytes instead of the 18 bytes
; that the Windows API expects:

lingo

hotrod,
You can use more "pure" assembly too... without proc,endproc, uses,call, ret etc. blah-bla-bla..  :bdg

.xmm
.model     flat, stdcall   
option     casemap:none,language:stdcall,dotname
assume     fs:nothing
include    c:\masm32\include\windows.inc
include    c:\masm32\include\user32.inc
include    c:\masm32\include\kernel32.inc
includelib c:\masm32\lib\user32.lib
includelib c:\masm32\lib\kernel32.lib

.code
Def_0:
                      db    33h,0C0h,0Ebh,5,0B8h,1,0,0,0,83h,0C4h,14h,0FFh,64h,24h,0ECh
                      dd    ExitProcess, 400000h, DlgTempl,0,Start+39,0,0,0
                      dd    L_WM_INITDIALOG+3Eh, 0, IDI_APPLICATION, LoadMenuIndirect
                      dd    0, WM_SETICON,ICON_SMALL,0,L_WM_INITDIALOG+48h, MenuTempl,Def_0+4,0
MyMsg                 db    "Hi there",0
MyTitle               db    "Hi from Lingo!",0
DlgTempl              db    0,8,200,16,0,0,0,0,2,0,20,0,10,0,186,0
                      db    94,0,0,0,0,0,72,0,105,0,0,0,0,0,1,80
                      db    0,0,0,0,64,0,12,0,50,0,21,0,110,0,255,255
                      db    128,0,38,0,72,0,105,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,1,80
                      db    0,0,0,0,64,0,42,0,50,0,21,0,120,0,255,255
                      db    128,0,38,0,69,0,120,0,105,0,116,0,0,0,0,0
MenuTempl             db    0,0,0,0,144,0,38,0,70,0,105,0,108,0,101,0
                      db    0,0,0,0,11,0,38,0,83,0,97,0,121,0,32,0
                      db    104,0,101,0,108,0,108,0,111,0,0,0,128,0,12,0
                      db    38,0,69,0,120,0,105,0,116,0,0,0
Start                 db    83h, 0C4h, 0D1h, 83h, 0E4h, 0F0h   
                      movdqa xmm1, oword ptr [Def_0+16]
                      movdqa xmm2, oword ptr [Def_0+32]
                      movdqa [esp+0*16], xmm1
                      movdqa [esp+1*16], xmm2
                      jne    DialogBoxIndirectParam          ; call API
                      mov    ecx,[esp+4*4]                          ; lParam-> Is it menu?
                      mov    eax,-10h                                   ; - WM_CLOSE
                      add    eax,[esp+2*4]                           ; eax->msg
                      je     L_WM_CLOSE
                      sub    eax,100h                                    ; WM_INITDIALOG
                      je     L_WM_INITDIALOG
                      sub    eax,1                                          ; WM_COMMAND
                      jne    Def_0
                      mov    edx, [esp+3*4]                            ; edx->wParam
                      test   ecx,ecx                                      ; ecx->lParam-> Is it menu?
                      jne    @f
                      sub    edx,11                                        ; HELLO from Menu = 11
                      je     L_IDC_HELLO
                      sub    edx,1                                         ; EXIT from Menu = 12
                      jne    Def_0
L_WM_CLOSE:
                      mov    eax,[esp+1*4]                             ; eax->hwnd
                      add    esp,-3*4                                     ; loading the stack
                      mov    [esp], offset Def_0+4              ; return address
                      mov    [esp+1*4], eax                           ; parameter for EndDialog API
                      mov    dword ptr [esp+2*4], 0             ; parameter for EndDialog API
                      jne    EndDialog                                  ; call API
@@:
                      sub     edx, 120                                   ; EXIT from button = 120
                      je      L_WM_CLOSE
                      add     edx, 10                                     ; HELLO from button = 110
                      jne     Def_0+9
L_IDC_HELLO:             
                      add     esp, -5*4
                      mov     [esp], offset Def_0+4              ; return address
                      mov     dword ptr [esp+1*4], 0              ; parameter for MessageBox API
                      mov     [esp+2*4], offset MyMsg         ; parameter for MessageBox API
                      mov     [esp+3*4], offset MyTitle        ; parameter for MessageBox API
                      mov     dword ptr [esp+4*4], MB_OK  ; parameter for MessageBox API
                      jne     MessageBox                              ; call API
L_WM_INITDIALOG:
                      mov     ecx,[esp+1*4]                            ; ecx->hwnd
                      add     esp,-13*4
                      movdqa  xmm1, oword ptr [Def_0+48]
                      movdqa  xmm2, oword ptr [Def_0+64]
                      movdqa  xmm3, oword ptr [Def_0+80]
                      movdqu  [esp+0*16], xmm1
                      movdqu  [esp+1*16], xmm2
                      mov     [esp+1*16], ecx
                      movdqu  [esp+2*16], xmm3
                      mov     [esp+2*16+12], ecx
                      jne     LoadIcon                                     ; call API
                      add     [esp+4*4], eax                             ; change stack; eax->hIcon
                      jne     SendMessage                              ; call API
                      mov     [esp+2*4], eax                             ; change stack; eax->hMenu
                      jno     SetMenu                                     ; call API
End Start

hotrod

lingo, where are the templates documented; I could eventually figure them out, but it would take awhile? As a matter of fact, I have never seen this approach before. Are you trying to be a trouble maker???

hutch--

:bg

No need to get revved up, Lingo has just shown you another way to write the code. If it does not suite you, use another technique.
Download site for MASM32      New MASM Forum
https://masm32.com          https://masm32.com/board/index.php

dedndave

hotrod - i bet lingo's code is fast   :U

hotrod

Hutch, not reved up, just kidding - got to have a since of humor or you will die from the pressure.

dedndave, yep, lingo has got it together, you people are killing me with education.