News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

WRC Question

Started by qwerty, January 26, 2010, 09:38:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

qwerty

Can someone help me with using Open Watcom's WRC.EXE?

I'm creating a Win32 application with an .RC file, coff, and compiling the resource like so:  wrc -r -bt=nt rsrc.rc
Then I'm running it through Open Watcom's CVTRES:  cvtres rsrc.res
And linking using Pelle's POLINK:  polink /SUBSYSTEM:WINDOWS /RELEASE  theapp.obj rsrc.res

It assembles just fine, but the application doesn't execute. If I assemble using MASM32, or even POLIKN and Open Watcom's CVTRES with MASM32's RC.EXE, it executes just fine.

If I use the -zm option with WRC, I get the same result, too. I've checked Open Watcom's manuals for compiling resources, but can't figure out why my program won't execute using their resource compiler.

japheth

-zm switch is correct to use. I don't think that cvtres.exe is needed. POLINK can directly read the .RES file.

qwerty

Still doesn't work, but that's ok. I'll just use PORC. I'm using WinAsm, and as long as I remove the ASM comment at the top of the RC file, it works with PORC just fine.
I'm checking out your JWasm, japeth, and was hoping I could eventually use WRC along with JWlink. It links fine with JWlink, as well as POLINK and LINK. I'm intrigued by POLINK, though, because of the smaller executable that it produces.

Thanks for taking the time to help me out, though. I'm guessing that you're a very busy person :red  Love the JWasm.