MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

Ugh What did I do ???

Started by DarkWolf, December 08, 2009, 09:27:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarkWolf

It may be more of a Linux question than HLA:

But I linked hla and hlaparse to at first /usr/bin/hla and then to /bin/hla (and similar for hlaparse) and I own and have permission for hla, hlaparse and the attendant libraries and headers.

Now my problem is that HLA won't run and either /bin or /usr/bin says I don't have permission to execute.
(also cannot execute hla directly from where I extracted it)

I keep the binaries on another drive and link to hla or hlaparse, this has worked with previous versions but not 2.6
--
Where's there's smoke, There are mirrors.
Give me Free as in Freedom not Speech or Beer.
Thank You and Welcome to the Internet.

NervGaz

I'm sure you've already checked this as you said you own and have permissions for the executables but still worth a double check. Do they have +x? Also depending on how hardened the linux distro you use is, world executable and world writable files can be blocked from execution as a security measure.

DarkWolf

$ ls -alk /bin | grep hla
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root    1 2009-12-08 14:38 hla -> /media/data/Programming/asm/bin/hla
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root    1 2009-12-08 14:38 hlaparse -> /media/data/Programming/asm/bin/hlaparse

$ ls -alk /media/data/Programming/asm/bin | grep hla
-rwxrwxrwx 1 sean sean  508 2009-11-07 20:28 hla
-rwxrwxrwx 1 sean sean 1789 2009-11-07 20:28 hlaparse

$ uname -a
Linux node1 2.6.24-26-generic #1 SMP Tue Dec 1 18:37:31 UTC 2009 i686 GNU/Linux

I don't how "hardened" the standard (non-server) Ubuntu kernel may be. Would you know if it is one that would be as you say (blocking world executables) ?
--

DarkWolf

Quick question

My filesytem and options in fstab for this drive ( where hla and hlaparse are originally kept and /bin links to ) are below:

ext3  users,relatime,noauto,rw,nodev,nosuid,data=journal

Don't know if this is off track but do I need to specify "exec" as an option ? (does fstab mount as noexec by default I mean ?)
--

DarkWolf

Yes it would appear that fstab is noexec by default.

This drive was originally mounted by HAL (it is a USB external hard drive) but I have been using fstab instead because of issues where the drive would not be mounted correctly after power loss. I haven't used HLA since then and didn't expect an issue. I didn't know that the defaults options of HAL (or mtab or whatever) were different than when mount reads fstab.
--