MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

MBR development environment?

Started by sonOfAGun, January 02, 2010, 03:50:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sonOfAGun

Hi
I'm new to coding in assembly, I want to write an MBR, I need to set up an environment that I can DEBUG an MBR.

I've tried using emu8086 but it appears that int13 extensions (i.e. read and write in LBA) are not supported. I am considering using Bochs. But I'm hoping that someone with more experience than me can tell me;

What environment/VM replicates that of a computer(intel/amd) when booting up, but also allows me to debug the assembly code too.

Thanks in advance. :U

redskull

VMware is the most common, but it doesn't come cheap.  Also, it installs a large number of system-slowing-down device drivers and services, so I recommend a seperate box to run it in (but that's just personal preference).

-r
Strange women, lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government

TNick

Bochs has a integrated GUI debugger, and setting a breakpoint is as simple as
xchg bx, bx

Look here for some info about it and further reading

Nick

sonOfAGun

Correct me if I'm wrong but I understand that there is no debugger for VMware or Virtual PC that would allow me to debug the MBR as the VM is booting up.

It looks like I will be setting up an environment in Bochs, as this allows debugging of the Master Boot Record (i.e. int13 calls) unless anyone knows of other alternatives.

Thanks for the help.

Farabi

Syslinux source code would be good for learning.
It can read FAT32 format and load a kernel. It also able to run a 32-bit code.
Those who had universe knowledges can control the world by a micro processor.
http://www.wix.com/farabio/firstpage

"Etos siperi elegi"