News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

getting disgusted with Thunderbird

Started by shankle, December 05, 2009, 04:38:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shankle

Hate the profile situation in TB. Tebe can't be used because the version of TB in PCLinuxOS needs to be 3.0 or more.
Updates are very slow in TB. Lately in an email a "click here" url in TB gives an error message.
I have looked at kmail and spent hours trying to receive an email. Needless difficulty.
Have no idea if K-meleon will work in PCLinuxOS but I doubt it.
The greatest crime in my country is our Congress

BlackVortex

Email clients suck, I use yahoo and hotmail, haha   :lol

And Firefox

dedndave

i like t-bird
i do suggest a couple add-ons, though
i use "Minimize-to-Tray" and "Minimize-to-Tray Enhancer"

Jimg

I tried it recently, but went back to Eudora after a few days.  It just doesn't measure up for me.

shankle

They can take all the time they want at TB. It is history for me. I have switched to Kmail in PCLinuxOS.
It handles multiple identities but is a pain to set up IMHO. Only problem left is how to move my email from
TB to Kmail. Doesn't look promising.

dedndave

if you poke around on the mozilla site, they have a lot of help about importing and exporting mail files

ecube

I use it just to check multiple accounts, some being ssl, and it works fine for that, so I can't complain.

dedndave

i don't know what you guys are on about - lol
i really like t-bird
maybe we aren't mashing on the same buttons

rags

Dont forget he's playing with Linux Dave, alot of things are needlessly harder than they need to be in that world.
God made Man, but the monkey applied the glue -DEVO

dedndave

i dunno if they are harder - just "cryptic" - lol
they do that so that only geeks will play with linux and they don't have to talk to non-geeks

shankle

Hi Guys,
My gripes were the fixes to TB were few and far between. Once a year is not enough to fix bugs.
They could do minor updates more often. The new version already has problems I hear and you
probably will have to wait another year for those problems to be fixed. Not good enough.
Then there is the profile mess. How about clicking on a button and your profile is saved?

Then there is Kmail in PCLinuxOS. No viruses to worry about. No windows popping up in
front of your face if you have an interactive Firewall set like in ESET. No Cookies that have to be
constantly deleted.  No messages being sent out to Microsoft for God knows what reason.
If you are willing to endure all that then good luck to you with TB.
I've had enough......

dedndave

well - there is your whole problem - lol
i use old versions of almost everything
if you update everytime someone comes out with a new version, you are going to be their beta site - lol
i find one that works - and stay with it til they come up with one that actually is better in some way
i am using t-bird version 2.0.0.16
firefox version 1.5.0.12 - love it - it has the old ad-block - not the new one - it is as fast as any of the new ones, if not faster

Yuri

My current disappointment with both Firefox and Thunderbird (on XP SP2) is that the process stays in memory after I have closed the window. Not every time, but quite often. When restarted, FF complains about that, while TB just silently creates one more process. I remember the same issue with FF 3 and now in 3.5 it's still there.

dedndave

i very rarely have that problem with firefox v 1.5.0.12
it happens more often with IE
for thunderbird - with the Minimize-to-Tray and Minimize-to-Tray Enhancer add-ins - i leave it on all the time
i am using XP MCE2005 sp2, which is pretty much the same as XP Pro

jj2007

Just updated to TB 3.0, hoping to solve an old problem: When sending mails, Thunderbird frequently says "Connected to..." but after a minute finishes saying could not send message, connection timed out. The behaviour is erratic, and usually I can send the mail by immediately retrying. Very very annoying, and clearly TB's fault.

So, nope, 3.0 didn't solve the problem. Instead, it introduced a new "feature": A horizontal tabs bar, absolutely useless and eating one inch of my precious space. After investing some of my equally precious time with Google, I found a solution by Peder Skeidsvoll:
Quote   1. Open Thunderbird's Preferences window (Tools -> Options on Windows, Edit -> Preferences on Linux and Thunderbird -> Preferences on Mac)
   2. Click on "Advanced"
   3. Click on the "Config Editor" button (which is under the "General" tab)
   4. Search for "mail.tabs.autoHide"
   5. Double-click on the setting so that it becomes "true" (and the font changes to bold)
Victory - another attempt of the Mozilla foundation to force tabs down my throat has been successfully defeated :green2

By the way: I also solved the timeout problem, without any external support, just by using the kind of queer intuition that you do acquire after many years of fighting with Windows (yes I admit this time, for once, it was Mozilla, not Billieboy):
Quote- Change the user name in account settings to a wrong one
- Send mail and wait for the error message
- Restore correct user name
It works :bg

Edit: Really useful: Setup Firefox To Use Minimal Screen Estate