News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

Dialog Wizard app with ms Dialog ditor.

Started by hutch--, October 23, 2009, 07:39:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hutch--

I have had this app for years, used it to start dialog style interfaces and never got round to tidying it up to pass it around until recently because among other things I lost it about 2 machine changes ago. It is a simple code generator that reads a DLG file created by the Microsoft Dialog Editor from the original SDK and creates a skeleton executable from it. I have for years used this and once it was finished I edit it using an equally ancient Norton Resource Editor which has the later common controls in it and which changes the RC format to its own.

Of late I have been testing Ketil Olsen's ResEd.exe which is capable of editing the resource format that the old Dialog Editor creates after it has been modified by DLGWIZ and everything seems to build correctly.

This is interim software as when I get the swing of enough of the output details of ResEd I will have a go at a parser that handles its output format to create the complete EXE from without the old Microsoft dialog editor.

I have built the old Microsoft Dialog Editor with VC2003 so it is reasonably current 32 bit C code. For those interested the original source code comes in a Win2000 PLATFORMSDK and may be modified under licence within the constraints of how it is distributed. In this case it is a component of the MASM32 SDK and has been modified under licence and is contained within the MASM32 licence. Note that the original Microsoft source code cannot be re-distributed at all so if you want to play with an antique like this you will have to get it from the Microsoft PLATFORMSDK of that period.

Put the three (3) files directly into the MASM32 directory and set up DLGWIZ on the menu of QE and you can create a bare dialog straight from QE. There is an example attached so you can see what the code output is like. It is slightly older style MASM32 code but the later verasion will address this.

One note on the settings for Dialog Editor, make sure the "Options" menu setting "Use New Keywords" is UNchecked or the output format is wrong.
Download site for MASM32      New MASM Forum
https://masm32.com          https://masm32.com/board/index.php