MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

Large TASM 5.0 to MASM conversion

Started by pjsallday, October 01, 2009, 07:50:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pjsallday

Hello all!
I have a large project that is being converted from borland to intel land and I am running into a lot of problems with using masm. There are a lot of difference with the two and I am having a hard time figuring out some of the "equivalents" in masm from tasm. Some examples are SMART and NOSMART, %NEWPAGE, error A2015: segment attributes cannot change : Alignment. There are just so darn many and to go through 40-50 asm files and figure these out will drive me crazy. :dazzled: I was wondering if you guys knew of a place to find a good conversion guide and somewhere to get a good amount of information. I have been looking here http://www.ousob.com/ng/masm/index.php and googling like crazy but can't seem to find a straight answer.

Thanks

PBrennick

I would advise you to read the TASM reference. Assembler specific commands such as %NEWPAGE can just be removed. All that one does is affect the listing (for printing) and is not really a part of the program. Bogdan is a good source for answers if you can catch him when he is not to busy. He is well versed in TASM.

Paul
The GeneSys Project is available from:
The Repository or My crappy website

GregL

pjsallday,

If you don't have a TASM reference you could use this. Paradigm Systems licensed TASM from Borland and called it Paradigm Assembler, it's identical to TASM 5.

Paradigm Assembler User's Guide

PBrennick

Greg,

Is that version of the TASM assembler in the public domain or is it pay-for-use?

Paul

GregL

Paul,

The Paradigm Assembler was included with Paradigm C++ which was a commercial compiler. I think they sold the assembler separately too.

The link I posted is just the documentation for the assembler. I got the link from the LZASM site.

I found it to be really useful when having to deal with TASM code.

PBrennick

Thanks Greg, I tend to collect different assemblers so was curious. I have a huge library of stuff and was willing to add to it. Not this time, though, I guess. BTW, I think we may run out of letters for different assemblers at some point!

Paul