MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

windows 8

Started by shankle, October 09, 2009, 04:13:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shankle

I guess this should go here.
Just read a topic about Windows 8 that said is will (NOT!!!!)  support 32 bit and maybe not 64 bit BUT 128 bit.
This will happen about 2011.
Isn't that just ducky.
Gee I can spend another $200 dollars for another OS.
In the mean time Linux is still free but with problems and a steep learning curve IMHO.
The greatest crime in my country is our Congress

BlackVortex

You don't have to upgrade from win7, it's a very good OS. You're ok for many years to come.

Don't let the win8 articles get you all worked up, of course MS is always working on the next OS ... the present situation is awesome !

dedndave

that is ms and intel - trying to generate revenue
i don't think the world wants 128-bits - lol
but, it sure would sell a lot of ram and hard drives

ecube

i'd take what you read on the internet with a grain of salt, considering Microsoft is infamous for backend compadibility it's EXTREMELY unlikey, they'll drop 64bit when its still barely even adopted now, and its very unlikely they're drop 32bit. hardware still has aways to catch up, and 128bit offers nothing atm.

hutch--

I have no doubt that Microsoft have Windows Universe 1024 bit in the works but I would not hold my breath waiting for it. It may be powerful enough to have smellovision, real life lice under the armpits of imaginary warriors and live interaction with the players but I doubt that a Hello World app will be much smaller that a few Petabytes. On the less than bright side, virus writers will have a field day with live interactive games introducing characters into the live action and will have a devestating effect on those who want to watch p0rn flicks, death by a thousand cuts will have nothing on the potential for mayhem that this will allow.  :bg
Download site for MASM32      New MASM Forum
https://masm32.com          https://masm32.com/board/index.php

jj2007

Quote from: hutch-- on October 12, 2009, 01:52:31 PM
I have no doubt that Microsoft have Windows Universe 1024 bit in the works but I would not hold my breath waiting for it. It may be powerful enough to have smellovision, real life lice under the armpits

Hutch,
Right now M$ are still busy exploring the dangers of cloud computing :toothy

hutch--

:bg

Aha, Windows Universe 31 will be "Cosmic Cloud".  :P Transport your computer into another universe.

thomas_remkus

Can you post a link to where it said MS might no longer support 32-bit?

shankle

Can't remember the first site I saw it on but this site might be of some help.

xxx. windows8news.com

xxx to www

sinsi

QuoteRobert Morgan is working to get IA-128 working backwards with full binary compatibility on the existing IA-64 instructions in the hardware simulation to work for Windows 8 and definitely Windows 9.
So it's IA-128, not x128

http://blog.eightforums.com/windows_8/windows-8-x128-the-next-pc-revolution-has-is-begun/
Light travels faster than sound, that's why some people seem bright until you hear them.

hutch--

:bg

Wait until they produce Windows Multiverse 39, a new universe at the thought of it with wide ranging special effects including live action complete with the latest innovation "Passion". Now this will be an area of great mischief for the trojan/virus writers of the multiverse, just as the sucker starts to participate in his latest p0rn Multiverse media adventure with the new 6 legged darling on the Multiverse a trojan is slipped into the software that introduces a horny alien who lines the sucker up, starts having his/her/its wicked way with the sucker then enters into an infinite loop only terminated by the sucker's ability to pay for more p0rn adventures.  :P

shankle

I think a solution for Microsoft would be to use a technique they used with DOS and maybe Windows 3.1 ( memory again).
That is to make the OS variable  at installation time, such as: what language do you want and cut out 10M+ of languages that you will never use.
They could also ask if you want 32, 64, 128, 256, 512 or 1024 etc. etc. This way everybody would be happy.
They could also drop off the lowest one every 10 years or so.
This would also make the OS smaller as other things of this same nature could also be asked. Really 4G for an OS.
Ridiculous!
To much to ask of a Monopoly I guess.

nathanpc

I don't know the word to say about this, but i want to say that Microsoft have to correct the problems from Windows Vista and Windows 7, one more Windows with another architeture isn't a good thing to think now.

Regards.

muttonhead

Quote from: shankle on October 09, 2009, 04:13:10 PM
I guess this should go here.
Just read a topic about Windows 8 that said is will (NOT!!!!)  support 32 bit and maybe not 64 bit BUT 128 bit.
This will happen about 2011.
Isn't that just ducky.
Gee I can spend another $200 dollars for another OS.
In the mean time Linux is still free but with problems and a steep learning curve IMHO.

OK by me.  I have win2k, several XP, and a few Vista licenses here at the house but all of my computers are running 32 and 64 bit versions of Ubuntu Linux and OpenBSD.  I got tired of the constant upgrade everything cycle and wanted to get back to the FUN that brought me to computers in the first place.  Wish I still had my Commodore VIC-20 - and all of the computers I've owned since that one.

I'm learning to code with NASM and GAS on Linux and it's a ball.   Being able to code with the Gnu C compiler and grabbing the gas output really opens up a fast track to learning things in Linux assembly.

And I don't have to enter any validation codes or call someone on the other side of the planet to get permission to install my operating system for the tenth time.... and I don't have to worry about buying another license if I want to gut my desktop case and toss a new motherboard and CPU into it either.

If Windows 8 is going to run on IA-128, then I'll just go pick up an Itanium or Sparc box to play with.  I can do without all the legacy cruft in the chip.

Linux is the way to go.  Stick with it and pretty soon everything will fall into place and the freedom will have you all happy.   :bg  I love it.

shankle

Muttonhead, you have stated my frustrations with Windows better than I could.
I have done a little research into Assembler programming in Linux and have found the road very difficult.
As far as I know BogdanOntanu has the only Assember that will work on Linux.
It is a pleasure to do email and browsing in PCLinuxOS as I do not have all the windows flying up
in front of my face all the time. I have a two way firewall in Windows and I don't let anything through
without my approval. Still a complete switch to Linux would be a tremendous hurdle.
Nothing is ever easy