News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

Sorce level Debug problem

Started by korte, July 31, 2009, 08:28:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

korte

Display the source of problems is when I use include files.
What I tried: GoVest, VS debug, WinDbg

korte

my bat file

c:\masm32\bin\ml /c /coff /ZI /Zd  /Fl%file%.lst %file%.asm
c:\masm32\bin\Link /SUBSYSTEM:WINDOWS  /DEBUG  %file%.obj  resource.obj /MAP

redskull

you should probably add /PDB:myfile.pdb to your LINK line, and see if it changes anything
Strange women, lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government

korte

I tried, and even tried other linker too. (polink).

pdb file is not included in the text "source.inc".

Obj file, the text is found. The EXE was not.

BATSoftware

If /Zd or /Zi are included on the ML command line then debug object records will be added to the the resulting object file. If /DEBUG is included on the LINK command line a PDB file will be created (defaults to image name if /PDB:# is not specified). The generated EXE will have the necessary information that the debugger will retrieve to load the debug records. If the debugger can not locate the PDB file check the location of the PDB file (should be in the same directory as the EXE/DLL/OCX file). I hever has a problem with VS Debug locating a PDB as long as the PDB exists in the correct location.

korte

PDB file generated.
But only found "xxx.asm" string. "xxx.inc" string not found.

I think the pdb file generation is not good.
The debugger follows the line number, but not file xxx.inc, always shows xxx.asm

korte

Go mad.

If you compile the visual studio
It is not always the xxx.asm file shows , but always show the include. (But it is good)

korte

You tested it?
What debugger you use?
Nobody knows how, as source level debug?

BATSoftware

VS debug does not debug INC files because ML does not generate debug records that will reference the INC file. .Though code can be included in an INC file normally the file will contain structures, typedefs and constants. The MASM32 assembler does not generate debug records with references to instructions that do no generate code (either data or executable). The C++ compiler generates a more extensive range of debug records which can include refrences to H files and can also produce what you are probably refering to as a "Browser database". A browser database is a product of the Visual Studio environment and can be thought of as a seperate program. The "Browser database" is not a product of a code generator or linker. Since Microcrap never integrated MASM into the Visual Studio environment, the browser is useless for ASM files.

ML will generate debug records for constants  structs and unions but not reference back to the source code that defined them. Therefore the "reference search" will not "link" back to the source code.

drizz

latest masm (ml v10.00.20506.01) generates "Source Files" debug info correctly, with full path!
The truth cannot be learned ... it can only be recognized.

korte

I know how to download: ml v10.00.20506.01?

japheth

Quote from: korte on August 21, 2009, 11:27:59 AM
I know how to download: ml v10.00.20506.01?

You probably don't need Masm v10. AFAIK Masm's debug information was changed in version 7, from "Codeview 4" to "Codeview 7" (or 8?), and since then it also includes full source paths.

So it should suffice to download Masm v8:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=7A1C9DA0-0510-44A2-B042-7EF370530C64&displaylang=en

drizz

Here's the deal:

debug information compiled from older version of masm (ML < 7.0) wont work correctly with newer linker versions, one of the symptoms is incomplete path and in case of combining ML615 and LINK900 no path at all !! :) .

if you are going to use older ML (614 v615) use older linkers (v512 v600)
if you are going to use newer ML >= 700  use the coresponding newer linker

This is only relevant for /DEBUG builds.

ML v10:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=151365
check out this thread:
http://www.masm32.com/board/index.php?topic=11599.0
The truth cannot be learned ... it can only be recognized.