News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

How to check the validity of a math expression?

Started by TmX, July 11, 2009, 04:53:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TmX

I think the most simple way is to check whether the right and left parentheses are balanced or not, using stack.
Unfortunately, you still need more work to do.

For example:
3 + ( 4 * (9 - 7)) --> this is valid, because the right and left parentheses are balanced
3 ( ) - 8 --> this is not valid even though the parentheses are balanced, because 3 () is meaningless

So, is there an easier way to do that, probably without using regex FSMs ?

dedndave

sounds like a nice place for a little recursive routine

TmX

hutch--

TmX,

Its been a long time but as long as you can write a parser that gets the inner pair of brackets then converts the content to a number then replace each inner pair of brackets and content5 with the result, you can either iteratively or recursively repeat the operation until there are no brackets left and you have a single result.

You get the inner pair by testing first for an opening bracket "(" and if the next bracket is NOT another "(" but a ")" then you have the inner pair. Replace the complete bracketing and content (x * y) with "result" then keep doing it until there are no brackets left.
Download site for MASM32      New MASM Forum
https://masm32.com          https://masm32.com/board/index.php

Mark Jones

What about RPN, could that be implemented in a way? i.e. push all the operands to the stack, including the brackets, and handle them recursively?
"To deny our impulses... foolish; to revel in them, chaos." MCJ 2003.08

dedndave

that is how i would do it i think
dunno if it is rpn or not, but write the recursive so the self-call is early in the routine
that way, it parses into the deepest parens first (as Hutch suggested) in recursion
then works the math on the way out of recursion

Slugsnack

i've done something like this in haskell in the past, it's really easy there but that's cause of pattern matching. if you can reproduce something similar, it's very simple

what you wanna do is take the arity of each operator you have. then start from the outside and keep evaluating. so if you had :

( a + b ) * c

then the outermost operator would be * with an arity of 2. so your parser would split it to :

( a + b )                                                    and                                        c

then you work recursively on each side. the basecase is when the thing you are evaluating is an atom. in this case, c is an atom. a + b would be broken down into a and b which are atoms..

for your problem that is in your evaluating procedure. your procedure would not recognise 3 () as either an atom or a valid procedure for further recursive processing and would return false

fearless

I had a look at RPN stuff recently for a project of mine, and came across this algo: Shunting Yard Algo at Wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shunting-yard_algorithm) breaks down an example and accounts for if there are too many brackets or too little. Could be useful for you.
Ć’earless