News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

Beginner Q??

Started by Ficko, June 18, 2009, 09:11:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ficko

I never used HLA before and thought give a try but I can't even run a demo prg other than "hw.hla" comes with RAD. :'(

The dialoge demo "Dialog.hla" abort, with

Compiling "Dialog.hla" to "Dialog.obj"
Warning in file "Dialog.hla" at line 74
Non-NULL numeric constant passed as string parameter.
Near: << , >>

Compilation complete, 31100 lines,   0.747 seconds,   41633 lines/second
Using flat assembler version C1.66
Dialog.hla [153]:

error: illegal instruction.

I guess the integrated FASM is getting bad input. :dazzled:

I had "copy/paste" another demo from webster "calc2" tryed to compile it
and

Compiling "Calc.hla" to "Calc.obj"
Error in file "Calc.hla" at line 41
syntax error, unexpected UndefID.
Near: << nodisplay >>

now I am getting very fustrated :dazzled:

What's wrong?
I did just download the "hlasetup.exe" from webster!
Is it too "new" maybe and the old demos dosn't compile any more?

Any pro out there has an Idea? :(

Sevag.K

I don't know what's going on in RAD, it's been years since I used it.  There are some dialog templates that come with the HIDE package, you can use those to get an idea of what might be wrong in the RAD version.

http://sevag.krikorian.googlepages.com/hide

Ficko

Thanks Sevag!

I had checked out "HIDE" it is "old" dosn't looks right under VISTA but works.

I finally managed to straight out RAD.
It has a "sloppy" configuration using "nmake", which is a bit lame since "hla.exe" is self being kind of an "nmake". :bg

I am wondering, that "hla.exe" says still being a "prototype", which propable means "alpha" since in the manual is writen that everything in it is open to change but there is something about
Version 2.0 but I can't really understand that "2.0" is something "imaginary" or exist in fact?! ::)

My question is:
Is HLA kind of "dead" or still some development going on?

Sevag.K

HIDE still works on win98 and maybe even win95 and that is more important to me than how it looks on the newer OS.  It has function rather than form; not too many bells and whistles, but integrates well with HLA.

HLA is still under active development and made a recent move to sourceforge along with the standard library.  Don't let the 'prototype' fool you, it is fully operational.  The only reason 'prototype' is used is because the author reserves room for syntax improvement/changes.  The author made a recent announcement for an update.  Version 2.0 is not yet released, but it is a goal for after HLA is fully ported to all supported operating systems.  It will probably be written in HLA syntax.