News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

Update maker

Started by starzboy, May 17, 2009, 07:46:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

starzboy

I have a general question, suppose i have a program and i want my users to update it, how is this done ?
I want the program to check the latest file on the server via a specific path, if newer then download it.

Does an external program exist to do this kind of work ?

Thankyou

UtillMasm

server? path?
what's you mean? :wink

starzboy

UtillMasm

oh, mybe myWSUS is for you. :wink

Vortex

Hi starzboy,

As an exercise, you could move your code to be updated to individual DLLs. Your clients can download the latest versions of those DLLs to update the application.

UtilMasm,

WSUS, Windows Server Update Services is a tool to distrubute the MS hotfixes and service packs to all the clients on the network.

starzboy

I have, the code is in the dll, i want my program to check the dll versions and if new then download and replace.
How should i proceed ?

PBrennick

Hi starzboy,

Using the attached program you can accomplish your mission. You will have to modify the URL in the source. The DLL should be zipped. this program will download the zip to the directory you have hardcoded in the program to the hardcoded location and then unzip it. Have the program create a special subfolder for this task. Once the new DLL has been downloaded you can check the date stamp of it against the current DLL. If newer, then copy the new DLL over the old one (unload it first of course). You can add the pertinent code to your program and add a menu item that allows the user to check for updates. If the DLL is replaced, ask the user to restart the program.

Paul

[attachment deleted by admin]
The GeneSys Project is available from:
The Repository or My crappy website