News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

Vista bug in ARR

Started by redskull, November 16, 2008, 03:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

redskull

Alright, I prefer to spend my saturday night banging other things besides my head against the wall, so i'd like to formally request some help verifying a bug exists in the ARR (Application Recovery and Restart) features of Vista.  Apparently, werfault.exe hangs if you  *only* register for recovery (no restart) but opt *not* to check online for a solution.
There's two files attached: Both just enter a endless loop, causing them to become "unresponsive" after 5 seconds.   After this time, trying to close it brings up the crash box, with two options: Check Online and Close Program (you need to have online solutions enabled for this).  One program only registers for recovery, and the other registers for both recovery and restart.  Here's my results from trying both options on both files:

Rec/Res - Check = Works (checks online, restarts the program if ran for > 60 seconds, closes if ran for < 60 sec)
Rec/Res - Close = Works (just closes the program)
Rec - Check = Works (checks online, closes program)
Rec - Close = FAILS (closes program alright, but W.E.R. dialoge box hangs open forever.  Closing it out gets rid of it, but it still remains as a running process that has to be closed from the task manager)

If any 32-bit Service Pack 1 users are interested (or just bored) and want to help find another leak in the Vista boat, i'd appreciate help to confirm (or disconfirm) that i'm not losing my mind.
Thanks in advance

-alan

[attachment deleted by admin]
Strange women, lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government

redskull

I hate to thread-bump, but I'd really like to get some feedback from anyone running Vista SP1.  In short:

1) Download the test app (http://astro.temple.edu/~tua59196/ARRcrash.exe)
2) Run it, and wait 5 seconds for it to hang
3) Click somewhere to make it officially unresponsive
4) Click the 'x' to try and close it
5) Select 'close the program' without checking online for a solution
5) Watch it display 5 strings in a console window
6) Verify if the werfault.exe dialog (...trying to recover your information) ever closes itself (must be killed from the task manager)

T.I.A.

-r
Strange women, lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government

Neil

I've run the test & it does exactly what you say in your post.

UtillMasm

mee to!

Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate 32bit english with Service Pack 1.

redskull

So it never closes for anyone else either?  That's good to hear, I thought I was losing my mind.  Apparently this is a bug, then, unless I'm something in the code (unlikely, since it works under other circumstances).

Thanks again

-r

dedndave

get XP pro - you'll be happy, like me  --->  :bg

redskull

On the contrary; if all us persnickety pedants stuck with XP, who would find the glaring defects in Vista, and as such how would they be fixed?  Clearly we cannot leave it up to QA at Microsoft!  :naughty:

-r

dedndave

the "glaring defects" that you speak of are too numerous to mention
if they did fix them vista would look like a box of band-aides
besides, they'd much rather sell you windows 7   :green

ecube

funny you're using the english version UtillMasm, considering how much you talk about china :P

UtillMasm

i have no choice.
you are all english guys. Microsoft or MSDN too.
:wink

dedndave

you do pretty well, Utill
your English is getting better, too
i would hate to write assembler in Chinese

m x c
o c m
v h p
  g

a a a
x x x
, , ,
b b b
x x x

UtillMasm

i guess, you are using Windows XP Chinese Version.
:toothy

PE入口:复制到堆栈 eax
  复制到堆栈 eax
  复制到堆栈 eax
  复制到堆栈 eax
  呼叫 MessageBoxA
  易或 eax,eax
返回