News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

Network install workaround

Started by fheller, April 13, 2009, 08:15:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fheller

MASM will install on Network Drives if you modify the installer.  It's just one instruction change and I wrote this quick tutorial:
www.forrestheller.com/masm_install/

dedndave

oops - i think it was written that way so as not to violate MS licensing agreements

drizz

Can't you just unpack install.exe to "Z:\masm32" with e.g. 7zip and run makelibs.bat?
The truth cannot be learned ... it can only be recognized.

hutch--

There is an easier way to do it without having to tweak the installation, install it on a normal fixed disk then copy the entire installation to another partition.

The reason why the install is designed to block network installations is because there were so many errors when earlier versions were installed on some forms of network drives where path errors prevented the installation from working.

The project is designed around fixed paths from the root directory of whatever partition it is installed on as this prevented a miriad of problems picking up the wrong linker and libraries.
Download site for MASM32      New MASM Forum
https://masm32.com          https://masm32.com/board/index.php

fheller

Quote from: hutch-- on April 14, 2009, 01:19:30 AM
There is an easier way to do it without having to tweak the installation, install it on a normal fixed disk then copy the entire installation to another partition.

The reason why the install is designed to block network installations is because there were so many errors when earlier versions were installed on some forms of network drives where path errors prevented the installation from working.

The project is designed around fixed paths from the root directory of whatever partition it is installed on as this prevented a miriad of problems picking up the wrong linker and libraries.
Thanks for the background info.  I didn't have access to C: on the installation.

Quote from: drizz on April 14, 2009, 12:01:03 AM
Can't you just unpack install.exe to "Z:\masm32" with e.g. 7zip and run makelibs.bat?
Didn't occur to me;  If you elaborate more (Do I have to run a resource extractor to feed the compressed file into 7zip, etc?) I can put this in the guide.  I don't have time to try it right now.

hutch--

:bg

> I didn't have access to C: on the installation.

Try D: E: F: G: H: etc ..... It works on any partition that has a root directory.
Download site for MASM32      New MASM Forum
https://masm32.com          https://masm32.com/board/index.php

drizz

Quote from: fheller
Quote from: drizz
Didn't occur to me;  If you elaborate more (Do I have to run a resource extractor to feed the compressed file into 7zip, etc?) I can put this in the guide.  I don't have time to try it right now.
You can extract SFX exes just as easily as archives, navigate in the 7zFM to install.exe and press Extract, or right click on install.exe if you have shell context menu integration for 7z and press "Extract to". You can also extract with Total Commander if you have it by pressing Alt+F9 on the install.exe.
The truth cannot be learned ... it can only be recognized.

Mark Jones

Or, for a real thurough reversing, you could run each module through ObjConv, and then re-assemble that any way you see fit... who wants to see a demonstration?
"To deny our impulses... foolish; to revel in them, chaos." MCJ 2003.08

fearless

Also seems to work on SUBST drives. I use that to create drives for M: for Masm stuff and V: for visual foxpro stuff, and i create a batch file and save it in the startup folder:

SUBST M: C:\DEVELOP\ASM
SUBST V: C:\DEVELOP\VFP\SOURCE
ƒearless

Vortex

Hi fheller,

The subst trick is a nice one. With this method, you can run multiple instances of Masm32 on the same partition.

fheller

I added the methods suggested by drizz and fearless (quoted directly) and linked back to this page.  Thanks for the suggestions!