MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

COM programmes

Started by sharpe, March 20, 2005, 05:05:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sharpe

Hello,

I am wondering how to write COM programmes. I am playing around with some things which require me to write a small COM (*.COM) programme. what does a *.COM programme look like when compared with an *.EXE, and how is one compiled? I have masm32 installed and running.

Thanks in advance!

AeroASM

MASM32 is used to create 32-bit applications; the exe is in PE format and is native to Win95 and above.
16-bit applications cannot run in Windows; they are run in a virtual machine which emulates DOS.

.com programs are 16-bit; to make them you can use the assembler (ml.exe) in masm32, but you need the Link version 5.63 (16-bit linker) in order to make a 16-bit application.

I am not sure exactly what the differences are between .com and .exe, but in a nutshell it is this:

1. 16-bit .com files and 16-bit .exe files are very similar; they have to run a a virtual machine and both need Link 5.63
2. 32-bit applications (.exe only) are very different from 16-bit applications.

pbrennick

In a .com file, everything, code, data and stack are all in the same segment which means a come file cannot exceed 64k.

Paul

mnemonic

Here you will find a introduction to assembler where among other topics the one you're asking for is explained in detail.
Just have a look.

Regards
Be kind. Everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.--Plato
-------
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

MichaelW

The attachment includes minimal source frameworks for COM and EXE files, along with batch files that can be used to assemble and link each framework, and generate a listing file and a map file. Both frameworks use the simplified segment directives. You can produce exactly the same program structure using full segment definitions, but considerably more effort is required.

You can download a 16-bit linker here:

http://spiff.tripnet.se/~iczelion/download.html

The download is a self-extracting archive that includes the linker. Take care to avoid overwriting the 32-bit linker because both are named link.exe. To differentiate it from the 32-bit linker I normally rename the 16-bit linker to link16.exe.

I use the ML from the MASM32 package for 16-bit programs, but to avoid confusion I create a separate folder for 16-bit programs, and copy ML.EXE, ML.ERR, and the 16-bit linker to it. The included batch files assume such an arrangement.

The attachment also includes a batch file that copies the help screens for ML.EXE and link16.exe to text files so the information can be easily referenced.

[attachment deleted by admin]
eschew obfuscation

sharpe

Thanks super.
Thank you all for your wise words. All is running now.

/sharpe

Vortex

Hi sharpe,

Welcome to the forum.

Basically, COM files are pure image files beginning at 100h. The max file size for a COM is 64Kb. On the other hand, executables have specific headers which is different in the 16-bit and 32-bit system. 16-bit DOS executables have generally a stack,data and code segment at the minimum level.