News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

Out of curiosity...

Started by Alloy, March 30, 2009, 01:20:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alloy

....  why all the uppercase mnemonics in GOASM source and GOBUG disassembly?
We all used to be something else. Nature has always recycled.

donkey

Mnemonics in GoAsm are not case sensitive, using a particular case is just a preference, though generally once you start with one case or the other you tend to stick with it. For myself I tend to use only lower case for opcode mnemonics though its not a hard and fast rule with me, probably around 99% of the time. I have heard from people who find it easier to read both ways so there is no good reason to use one over the other. For fun you can mix it up...

MoV EaX, 16
mOv eCx, [SiZeSTrinG]
lEa eDI, stRiNG
LeA EsI, OuTPut
RePNe mOvSb
"Ahhh, what an awful dream. Ones and zeroes everywhere...[shudder] and I thought I saw a two." -- Bender
"It was just a dream, Bender. There's no such thing as two". -- Fry
-- Futurama

Donkey's Stable

GregL

Quote....  why all the uppercase mnemonics in GOASM source and GOBUG disassembly?

Why not?

Like donkey said it's a personal preference, personally I don't care for all lower case.

jorgon

The Windows APIs callback parameters and structure members have names which are are case-sensitive and which have mixed upper and lower case.
So when Windows programming I find it improves readability to have all the strictly assembler source and names of variables in upper case to differentiate them from the Windows stuff.
But this is personal taste.
Author of the "Go" tools (GoAsm, GoLink, GoRC, GoBug)

Alloy

Quote from: Greg on March 30, 2009, 02:10:53 AM
Quote....  why all the uppercase mnemonics in GOASM source and GOBUG disassembly?

Why not?

Like donkey said it's a personal preference, personally I don't care for all lower case.

I was just wondering. I've noticed this in the GO Tools for years and never saw anyone else bring it up.

Alloy

Does GoBug do source level debugging?

jorgon

Since GoBug is intended as a debugger for assembler programmers, and provides a disassembly in assembler, it does not need to read line numbers to enable a comparison between the source code of the executable which is being debugged and the disassembled output.  Instead, you can have your source open in a window using your usual editor, and compare that with the disassembly available from GoBug.
Author of the "Go" tools (GoAsm, GoLink, GoRC, GoBug)

Alloy