MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

Sudoku

Started by PBrennick, February 06, 2009, 11:10:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PBrennick

Ray,
No problem. Since I 'have' made a change, could you tell me which you like better? The original was MS Sans Serif and now I am using Courier because it is monospaced which means a space is the same size as a character (no proportioning as you know).

I am working on the HINT option right now. As with other options, I will maintain my trend of using the Report Window. The Hint will be broadcast there and if the user wants to add it to the Puzzle, they can.

I will be adding your name in the Help section if you were wondering. Nobody has stepped forward with any opinions except FORTRAN so it looks like it will be the two of you. Him as a beta tester, you as a code contributor and as a beta tester. I thought I was going to get some opinions from Jimq, but he went silent, probably still trying to solve the first Puzzle.  :toothy

Paul
The GeneSys Project is available from:
The Repository or My crappy website

raymond

Courier looks good. Probably better than the MS.

As for your HINT option, that should be easy as you have the solver already incorporated.
- run the solver immediately after loading the problem and keep it in memory (only 81 bytes);
- use it as a lookup table if the user asks for a hint;
- no need for code to transfer the hint to the puzzle (the user can do that on its own).
When you assume something, you risk being wrong half the time
http://www.ray.masmcode.com

PBrennick

Ray,
Yes, szSolution is the buffer, I keep it valid for the duration of the session. That is what I am using for the error checker and will use it for the Hint. I thought about this:

1. Get a Random Hint and reveal it in the Report Window.
2. Get a Random Hint and reveal it in the Report Window AND store it in the Puzzle (set focus to that square).
3. If the focus is on an empty cell when the User requests a Hint, put the value that belongs to that cell into the cell.
4. Allow the User to select a number from one to nine. Use that selection for Hinting.
5. Allow the User to select a number from one to nine. Fill in all occurences of the number selected.

I decided on #1, but what do you think about the other ideas? Probably feature overkill?

Paul

raymond

My preference would definitely go for #3 ONLY.
When you assume something, you risk being wrong half the time
http://www.ray.masmcode.com

PBrennick

So be it, #3 it is. I think that is a very useful method. It is nor random but will be the most helpful. I never saw ANY other version do it in that way.

Paul

PBrennick

New upload at the top. This version adds the Hint option. I guess, except for the addition of the DLL, that the program is complete.

Paul

PBrennick

Hi there,
The Puzzle DLL has been added to Sudoku. If the DLL is found, there will be 20,000 Puzzles available. If the DLL shows up missing, the Game will revert to the 2,000 internal Puzzles.

The size of the ZIP is now almost 700,000 bytes so I can no longer upload it to this Board. If anyone wants the Game with sources (including the DLL source), send an email to pbrennick@yahoo.com. I will, then, email it directly to you.

Paul

herge

Hi  PBrennick:

I have downloaded sudoku.
The game works.
I seem to be having trouble with the Control and Function keys.
They don't appear to any thing.

Regards herge.
// Herge born  Brussels, Belgium May 22, 1907
// Died March 3, 1983
// Cartoonist of Tintin and Snowy

PBrennick

Are you saying that none of the Control and Function Keys work on your computer? That seems odd. What is your OS? I am using XP HE with no problems.

Is anyone else having trouble with the Control keys?
Paul