MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

debuggers fail to load .exe files

Started by NUMBSKULL2, February 05, 2009, 02:32:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NUMBSKULL2

Hello

Debuggers worked fine until today.
I have 3 different debuggers, and all fail to load the .exe file from the command prompt.
I get "read error" or "File not found"
I thought it might be a security violation because I did some windows XP security updates last night.
I installed MASM32 on  a machine which has  Windows Vista and I get the same results.
Any ideas ?

Thanks

Pat

GregL

Try this, right-click on the file in Windows Explorer and "Unblock" them if they are blocked, you will only get the option if they are blocked. This only applies to files that were downloaded from the internet or copied from a network drive.

NUMBSKULL2

I tried your suggestion. The files aren't blocked .
Thanks anyway!

It gets weirder.

The files that were created yesterday will load today.
The files created today will not load.

GregL

BlackVortex

Maybe there are spaces in the filenames ?  Use ""

NUMBSKULL2

I enclosed filenames with quotes.
I entered debug "filename.exe"
I still get the read error.
I hope its something simple like this that I'm overlooking.
Thanks

evlncrn8

donkey

You know I've always suspected that there is some kind of weird unreproducible bug in NTFS, a couple of months ago I copied a file from Drive D: (NTFS) to Drive C: (NTFS), it was an executable program I wrote, when I ran the program through Olly I found some XML script instead. I thought "well thats weird" and did a virus scan, nothing found, did a scan for root kits, nothing found, I did a defrag of the drives (an exceedingly long process with 2 140GB drives) and when it was done TA-DA I opened the exe in Olly and it was all good. I have tried (very occasionally) to reproduce the problem but have failed.
"Ahhh, what an awful dream. Ones and zeroes everywhere...[shudder] and I thought I saw a two." -- Bender
"It was just a dream, Bender. There's no such thing as two". -- Fry
-- Futurama

Donkey's Stable

NUMBSKULL2

I did a virus scan and a spyware scan.
No viruses or spyware found.

I still think this is some kind of security violation or a search path problem.

NUMBSKULL2

Hey Guys

The filenames that I used had too many characters.
MASM32 will work with longer filenames; but the debuggers apparently can't recognize filenames longer than eight characters.

I apologize for the confusion.
Now you know the reason for my forum name.
:bg
Thanks
Pat

GregL

BlackVortex