Resetting file permissions for files Adminstrator can't open

Started by GreenTea, January 02, 2009, 10:58:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GreenTea

What I would like is to be able to do is reset the permissions on the
files that I cannot open.

I was able to get them reset for one single file by rebooting and
changing some things.

I don't think I could re-create it by myself.

This problem started when I copied files from one drive to another,
unaware that it would take some work to access them.

Thanks

> > This is what I get logged on as an admin.
> > Resetting security information for c:\backup...failed.
> > This security ID may not be assigned as the owner of this object.
> This security ID may not be assigned as the owner of this object
> http://tinyurl.com/8jdm7b

I tried to figure out the MS help you gave but no luck.

Local Users and Groups

Users

Admin
HelpAssistant
Limited
Support388....

Groups

Administrators
Backup...
Guests
Power...
Remote Desk...
Replicator

sinsi

heh I dual-booted hyper-v and xp (installed hyper-v after xp) so now I have a c:\boot directory I can't get rid of (and much more, booting from a dos5 floppy to use debug to fix the friggin partition table AND the friggin boot sector of my xp partition).

Anyway, tried taking ownership, was told that since my xp didn't belong to the hyper-v domain I couldn't delete (c: was xp and hyper-v was f: extended partition).
Funny, I can rename but not delete. Oh well.

vortex: I'll try the safe-mode thing from your link later and see what happens.
Light travels faster than sound, that's why some people seem bright until you hear them.

Vortex

Hi sinsi,

Try to boot with BartPE or Windows Pe and you can easily delete that directory.

GreenTea

Quote from: Vortex on January 02, 2009, 11:32:13 AM
Did you try to take the ownership of those files?

http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B308421&x=9&y=9

I could not take ownership despite many suggestions.
I ended up finding most on my backup CDs.

fearless

try del "name of dir to delete here" from a command prompt in the folder above the one you want to delete.

I've come across a situation like that where a folder stubbornly refuses to allow ownership and thus deleting. Once i dropped to a cmd prompt and started deleting everything in the folder above with del "*.*" it went as well - prompting me before hand "did i want to do that?"
ƒearless

sinsi

Tried the safemode thing (and a new tab shows, wonder why only in safemode). Most options were greyed-out.
Tried the "del" thing, gotC:\>del __Boot
C:\__Boot\*, Are you sure (Y/N)? y
C:\__Boot\memtest.exe
Access is denied.

Only the creator has full access to it, and the creator is a big long SID (?not sure) which is obviously the SID of the now gone hyper-v (basically 2008 server).

I'll try the bartpe thing when I have some spare time (downloaded it) but it's an annoyance rather than a problem...
Light travels faster than sound, that's why some people seem bright until you hear them.

Tedd

No snowflake in an avalanche feels responsible.

sinsi

Yeah yeah Tedd, that doesn't help when the fricken owner is another domain according to the fricken acl (in my case).
Sorry teddy, but it's been a pain for the last few months... :( my frustration boileth over... :bdg bad grin indeed.

a c c e s s fucking d e n i e d
say hello to my leetle friend...format

I am annoyed now.

Tedd

Bad dog! Down! :lol

Another domain? Well why didn't you say :P That's a bigger problem..

Plan B: Get a Live Linux CD with NTFS support (most do by now; I keep an Ubuntu CD handy), boot into it, mount the drive, zap your files (as root) :bg

Failing that, use a power-drill (doesn't solve the actual problem, but it's very satisfying :wink)
No snowflake in an avalanche feels responsible.

sinsi

Plan IDontKnow was linux heh heh.
Microsoft obviously think "well he downloaded hyper-v and was silly enough to dual-boot it, so be it"
I'm just thinking of using a sector editor now, since my quad-booting with ubuntu went tits up  :bdg boot sector full of 00's

Quotemount the drive, zap your files (as root)
There you have two of the statements that really piss off a dos/windows person..."well, just mount it and 'sudo man blah blah it' as root"...well root you too (joking, ok?)
As I've said, it is an annoyance, but one I feel I should have worked out before now. I fix OP's computers, to have a niggle like this reflects on my credibility :bg

Power drill? Bloody chainsaw, mate - one of the ones you straddle.

wiworn

Quote from: Vortex on January 02, 2009, 11:32:13 AM
Did you try to take the ownership of those files?

http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B308421&x=9&y=9

Ha Ha ! I have to follow the link that you get, and now everything ok, Thanks Vortex  :U

GreenTea

I solved the file permission problem. I had some other issues like System Restore wouldn't work, etc.
Things are running great now.

I did a "modified Clean Install" when I found the primary CD/DVD player drive wasn't reading correctly all the time.

Had to some cable switching, changing boot order, and deleting enough files so the OS could only think this.

Error 1313: We know that XP was on here at one time but there isn't enuf left to reconstruct.
                Proceeding to put "problem stuff" in a separate partition.
                Deletion of regedit proceeding.
   :-)

Take care.