News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

Where to start.....?

Started by Arhk, December 22, 2008, 01:46:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arhk

I'm good with C++ but I'm beginning to realize asm is different (well of course but you know it's much more so than I first anticipated). Where should a beginner but not complete noob get a good guide.

~ links to any good guides or tools that you think might be useful for me along the way. Also I'd appreciate x64 links (that are compatible with a x86 environment).

Damos

I found looking through the example and tutorial files supplied with masm32 the best way.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction. - Albert Einstien

Eclipse

Iczelions tutorials are good I guess if you used MFC or some other bloated class library for all of your GUI'd programs in C++ (you'll learn how to do it all yourself with the pure WinAPI, which IMHO, is the only way they should be done), but otherwise, I didn't really gain much from them.

There is a tutorial hidden on Icz's page that is a little better for understanding what you need to know about MASM32, by Exagone. its on the tutorials page, and it is the first link under "Articles by Various Authors". It's on the MASM32 language itself, and the majority of it also applies to TASM32. I found that Icz's GUI'd tuts explained too much about the windowing aspect and not the actual assembly language aspect (he introduces new instructions that he hasn't previously introduced, assuming that you can figure out their functionality but their surrounding code). if you read Exagone's tutorial, I guarantee you'll shoot through at least the first 10 chapters of Icz's tutorials with ease, and your acquired knowledge will help you understand the things that he doesn't explain. otherwise, you will get stumped by Icz's tutorials as soon as he uses PUSH and doesn't explain it (I think this is in chapter 3), and you'll be off the deep end :dazzled:

The Art Of Assembly book is supposed to be very good, but I couldn't be bothered learning HLA first (I knew C++, I didn't want to learn another boring HLL)  :P

Otherwise, if you don't mind getting a little confused by assembler syntax discreprencies, the (free) "PC Assembly Language" book by Dr. Paul Carter is a good read for an overall understanding of the assembly language, and how to use it in C++.

TmX

Quote from: Eclipse on December 23, 2008, 05:35:49 AM

There is a tutorial hidden on Icz's page that is a little better for understanding what you need to know about MASM32, by Exagone. its on the tutorials page, and it is the first link under "Articles by Various Authors".

Index of /exagone

* Parent Directory
    * iczelion's guide to winsock programming.htm

Can't find the tutorials  :eek
Do have an offline copy?

rags

God made Man, but the monkey applied the glue -DEVO

vanjast

It's just really a different way of thinking, but most concepts are the same.
Once you get used to 'abusing' registers, it's just the same idea.
:8)

Arhk

Quote from: Eclipse on December 23, 2008, 05:35:49 AM
Iczelions tutorials are good I guess if you used MFC or some other bloated class library for all of your GUI'd programs in C++ (you'll learn how to do it all yourself with the pure WinAPI, which IMHO, is the only way they should be done), but otherwise, I didn't really gain much from them.

There is a tutorial hidden on Icz's page that is a little better for understanding what you need to know about MASM32, by Exagone. its on the tutorials page, and it is the first link under "Articles by Various Authors". It's on the MASM32 language itself, and the majority of it also applies to TASM32. I found that Icz's GUI'd tuts explained too much about the windowing aspect and not the actual assembly language aspect (he introduces new instructions that he hasn't previously introduced, assuming that you can figure out their functionality but their surrounding code). if you read Exagone's tutorial, I guarantee you'll shoot through at least the first 10 chapters of Icz's tutorials with ease, and your acquired knowledge will help you understand the things that he doesn't explain. otherwise, you will get stumped by Icz's tutorials as soon as he uses PUSH and doesn't explain it (I think this is in chapter 3), and you'll be off the deep end :dazzled:

The Art Of Assembly book is supposed to be very good, but I couldn't be bothered learning HLA first (I knew C++, I didn't want to learn another boring HLL)  :P

Otherwise, if you don't mind getting a little confused by assembler syntax discreprencies, the (free) "PC Assembly Language" book by Dr. Paul Carter is a good read for an overall understanding of the assembly language, and how to use it in C++.
Yeah I kinda figured getting the art of assembly of tpb then reading it would be a waste because HLA is of course not asm I'm trying to go as low as I can without hurting myself then eventually progress lower.... I started with a HLL already (C++) anyway in order for me to have some concepts in my head to start grasping others.
Also if you could give me & actual link... ~ nvm found it...
~

Rainstorm

I found the art of assembly very useful & I've never used HLA. - I've just read small parts of AOA not the whole thing.. but it  helped . -  am learning too & lot of the stuff in the 16 bit version was helpful too & much of it would apply to 32bit. - most of the matter is applicable to asm.(whichever assembler you use) - the only downside is in the hla version all the code examples are in HLA. - have a look through the contents page

the exagone pack is good.....and a lot shorter  ;)

Arhk

Quote from: Rainstorm on December 30, 2008, 12:29:01 PM
I found the art of assembly very useful & I've never used HLA. - I've just read small parts of AOA not the whole thing.. but it  helped . -  am learning too & lot of the stuff in the 16 bit version was helpful too & much of it would apply to 32bit. - most of the matter is applicable to asm.(whichever assembler you use) - the only downside is in the hla version all the code examples are in HLA. - have a look through the contents page

the exagone pack is good.....and a lot shorter  ;)

HLA isn't ASM so I didn't really waste time reading AoA....

BlackVortex

Quote from: Arhk on December 29, 2008, 02:46:12 PM
Yeah I kinda figured getting the art of assembly of tpb then reading it would be a waste because HLA is of course not asm
First of all, the Art of Assembly has its own homepage, and is available for download there. Next time, search on google first, and not on "the pirate bay"    :tdown

Also, Randall Hyde named it HLA (High Level Assembler). And you say HLA is not asm. Do you know better ?

Arhk

Quote from: BlackVortex on January 23, 2009, 11:17:04 AM
Quote from: Arhk on December 29, 2008, 02:46:12 PM
Yeah I kinda figured getting the art of assembly of tpb then reading it would be a waste because HLA is of course not asm
First of all, the Art of Assembly has its own homepage, and is available for download there. Next time, search on google first, and not on "the pirate bay"    :tdown

Also, Randall Hyde named it HLA (High Level Assembler). And you say HLA is not asm. Do you know better ?
?
~ why are you repeating me I know what HLA stands for, having the word assembler in it doesn't make it anymore assembly than C++.
~ The free version from the site is a bunch of PDF's (which i don't have the attention span to sort through plus the published version is just better) the full published version cost money & "the pirate bay" has it