News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

Hi, New Member and question on Databases

Started by bluemoon, December 08, 2008, 11:52:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluemoon

Hello everyone, I just joined and am new to assembler programming.  I have writting many codes in the past using VB, C#, C++ and am totally in the dark to the assembly language.  I am hoping to learn this language sort of in the hopes of writing software with more speed and not dependant on third party drivers like .Net VB Runtime etc.  I hope my future questions will not be too silly or boring.

My question is about databases, I want to write my first assembly code database using MS Access.  Can someone walk me through connecting to an MS Access database using assembly?  I have always found that database programming is a good way to start learning a new language.  I am aware that there is more to assembly than meets the eyes and I know there is more to it than in VB, C# and C++.  I Look forward from hearing from any of you.  Thanks in advance, and I know I will have more questions later.  I think I have my email address visible if you want to email me.  I could learn even more if I had some sample code; like I said I am new to this language and it's format.  Really wanting to learn here!

Brian   :boohoo:

fearless

Using Access databases with ASM would usually require you to use ODBC and the ODBC Win32 function calls to utilize this. Of course with ODBC you can connect to different databases as the ODBC is just the middleman really. Best bet is start searching the forums for ODBC samples and examples if you really want to use Access as your database.

Also Iczelion has some tutorials for using ODBC with ASM: http://win32assembly.online.fr/tutorials.html
Ć’earless

jdoe

bluemoon,

As fearless said, ODBC is the way. You can follow the link he provide or search this board for ODBC. I know Donkey did some work on it and I'm pretty sure he have a working solution for MS Access.

I hope that you're not coding ASM with Access for speed because ODBC will be the bottleneck so no speed improvement but if you are manipulating the data after getting it, now you'll have the boost ASM can give.

Good luck and welcome to MASM32

jdoe

bluemoon

Thanks for the replies.  I'll check out the link you provided and do some more research on ODBC.  Are there a reliable text based database I could us for speed?  I've not used many text based databases but am looking for speed.  I'll do a search on databases, no use of asking you if there's one already posted.  I had to ask at least one question to join the forum.  I'll do a search on databases, but yea would like to be able to use MS Access also.

Brian  :clap:

Mark Jones

Hello Brian, I am unsure how fast SQLite is compared to others, but here is a thread about it, which includes a comprehensive example:

http://www.masm32.com/board/index.php?topic=1891.0
"To deny our impulses... foolish; to revel in them, chaos." MCJ 2003.08

donkey

Hi bluemoon,

You might take a look at JetStream, its a little utility I wrote to examine MS Access databases, most of the database functions of interest are in ODBC.ASM

http://www.masm32.com/board/index.php?topic=9808.0

It mainly uses SQL and ODBC calls to connect and query the database, I find a mixture of the two a little more practical to work with. It is written in GoAsm but should be readable to a MASM user.
"Ahhh, what an awful dream. Ones and zeroes everywhere...[shudder] and I thought I saw a two." -- Bender
"It was just a dream, Bender. There's no such thing as two". -- Fry
-- Futurama

Donkey's Stable

bluemoon

Thanks to all of you who have helped me thus far.  I bit off more than I can chew lol.  I'm going to do some reading up on assembly before I ask you guys any more questions.  I need to learn the format of the code first.  Lot different from what I am used to.  But the websites and source code you all provided has given me hope  :U  I study all the info you guys give.  Have to learn to crawl before I start walking hehe.

Brian  :boohoo: