MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

Lessons With a 32-bit Focus

Started by Glenn9999, November 23, 2008, 08:51:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glenn9999

In looking at this thread:

http://www.masm32.com/board/index.php?topic=10380.0

I thought of something I've found when I tried to start getting texts on how to do assembler.  It seems that all of them I've found have a 16-bit focus, meaning the OP of that thread probably didn't know the difference on whether he was looking at 32-bit assembler or 16-bit assembler (he/she would have to answer that though).  Of course, knowing 16-bit assembler has some value out of the gate (mainly because of the interrupt calls in DOS if you want a DOS app that would go on a boot disk - that's why I started with 16-bit stuff myself).  But, I can't think I've found any introductory texts that have a true look at 32-bit programming, beyond the "you know there are 32-bit registers named EAX, EBX..." line.

Of course, I could be missing something.  So I might as well ask, is there something that starts with 32-bit stuff out of the gate?

Mark Jones

Hello, if I understand your question correctly, the help files included in the MASM32 package (asmintro.chm, hllhelp.chm, etc.) provide an introductory 32-bit focus by explaining what the registers are, defining how memory addressing works, and expounding on the stack and calling convention. These are all critical topics in 32-bit assembly, and while the MASM32 help was designed for seasoned programmers, these help files are still remarkably useful for beginners. For much more complete "tutorials" covering most of 32-bit assembler however, common convention points towards Iczelion's series of MASM tutorials as being the diffinitive "beginner 32-bit tutorials." http://win32assembly.online.fr/ While these do not cover how or why 32-bit code works, they do provide lots of practical examples.

Kip's book (and course) seem to be rather popular also. If looking for in-depth coverage on the subject, perhaps see: http://www.kipirvine.com/asm/
"To deny our impulses... foolish; to revel in them, chaos." MCJ 2003.08

Rainstorm

hi, am learning asm too, & i started off with 32-bit asm, skipping 16bit(for the most part - never coded a 16bit app). I had read small parts of AOA, & though that was the 16 bit version I found a lot of the basic stuff was applicable to 32bit asm. I agree it would ease things up in many cases for learners, if the documentation was completely 32bit oriented - one example is the reference manuals for the masm assembler, where many times the 32bit documentation is intermingled with the 16bit stuff & in some cases the example code too is 16 bit, & it always doesn't apply to 32bit - this can become a headache for a person learning in the first place. - You look you will find articles here & there on 32bit asm. - procedures & the like. - google 'Exagone-Tuts.zip' if i remember right that is a small pretty basic text. - search this forum for td_win32asm_all - also the hlp files, examples in the masm32 package & the intel manuals.

gotta run,

laters