News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

Where do I start?

Started by Avarice, November 20, 2008, 10:31:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avarice

I hope this will be the only question I need to ask. Are there any tutorials and what should I start with? What do I do after the tutorial you have prescribed me? Any recommendations that you feel like sharing? How long will it take from nothing, to programming ex. a lan chat or something simple and similar?

Thanks.  :bg

donkey

You can start here...

http://website.masm32.com/

As for how long, who knows, some take up assembler and struggle at every turn, some breeze through it easily.
"Ahhh, what an awful dream. Ones and zeroes everywhere...[shudder] and I thought I saw a two." -- Bender
"It was just a dream, Bender. There's no such thing as two". -- Fry
-- Futurama

Donkey's Stable

Avarice

So I guess I will be going with Icezelion's tuts. Thank you

One more question: I usually have lots of time in my programming class, can I put MASM on my thumbdrive and use it there? There aren't any settings stored in registry or anything?

Also is programming linux when you are fluent in Windows assembly an entirely new slate?

Mark Jones

Quote from: Avarice on November 20, 2008, 10:40:12 PM
can I put MASM on my thumbdrive and use it there? There aren't any settings stored in registry or anything?

The registry is avoided, and the install will work on any logical, local, non-network path. One thing you may want to do however, is add the \masm32\bin to the path (perhaps from a batch file on autorun) before trying to assemble anything. This is because most of the commands are specified with relative paths -- i.e. "\masm32\bin\ml.exe myapp.asm" or similar. Having the \bin folder in the path generally negates any path requirement, but note it is always best to keep the code on the same drive as the assembler.

Also is programming linux when you are fluent in Windows assembly an entirely new slate?

Yes, it's radically different. Check out NASM in that case, it is probably the largest 'nix assembler.
"To deny our impulses... foolish; to revel in them, chaos." MCJ 2003.08